DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   DVDA and W.7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/504854-dvda-w-7-a.html)

Roy Alexander January 29th, 2012 02:02 PM

DVDA and W.7

Is DVDA -5 compatible with W.7.? I've had it on XP pro for a while and it works perfectly, Since installing W.7 and re-installing DVDA-5 onto it. everything has gone haywire.

David Jimerson January 29th, 2012 11:43 PM

Re: DVDA and W.7

Uninstall and reinstall. There should be no problems.

Ian Stark January 30th, 2012 02:57 AM

Describe 'haywire'.

Leslie Wand January 30th, 2012 05:37 AM

working fine here....

Roy Alexander January 30th, 2012 06:52 AM

IAN. My problem is that DVDA is working perfectly with W.7 when making DVD's. But when trying to make Blu-ray discs. It won't recognise any blank disc except for Verbatim BD-R/BD-RW. with XP I could burn HD to STD.DVD discs. Also when trying to burn a second HD disc when invited to do so. It freezes when it comes to burning lead in. Sometimes a message says DVDA has stopped working and report. The only way I can make a copy is to start from scratch again. However on reflection I think it might be lack of memory since I have left XP on another drive and with W.7 I am using XP mode so I can use Adobe pro version which won't work with W.7. The only reason I want to use Adobe Pro 2 is because I can stop at any point on a scolling title which I can't do on VMS10 platinum . I then transfer the title to Vegas. That's how I did it when I just had XP on the PC and everything worked well. I am going to install more memory and see what happens.

Adam Stanislav January 30th, 2012 08:15 AM

I would never burn a disc from DVDA, especially not an expensive Blu-ray Disc. Always burn to ISO, then burn the ISO to the disc with ImgBurn, and do so as many times as you want.

Phil Gosselin January 30th, 2012 08:26 AM

I'll second that,

For years my workflow was to create the DVD/BD in DVDA and then burn them using ImgBurn...using nothing but Verbatim discs.

So far this workflow has been spotless.

Roy Alexander January 30th, 2012 08:54 AM

You all give sound advice. I have got IMGBURN installed but can't understand it's settings. I've had three coasters one after another. I wish I could work with it because I've heard such good reports about it. I've asked how to use it step by step, that's the only way I can take it in, but everyone who answers thinks I know as much about PC's as they do. Sadly I don't. I buy DVD tutorials on all programmes I want to use and I get by. Unfortunately I can't find any such tutorials for IMGBURN. The programmes helpline goes above my head.

Adam Stanislav January 30th, 2012 12:32 PM

Well, Roy, then you need to ask very specific questions at each step you do not understand.

Phil Gosselin January 30th, 2012 12:52 PM

ImgBurn has comprehensive tutorials available on their website You can find them here:

Guides - ImgBurn Support Forum

Roy Alexander January 30th, 2012 01:36 PM

I've just tried to burn another DVD from ingburn. First I printed out instructions from YOUTUbe tutorial. As far as I can tell I followed these instructions to the letter. I wanted to make a disc from files and so clicked onto that panel at the start. Result. The disc played back on the PC from the rewriter and wouldn't play on any standalone player. It just displayed the word data and nothing else. As far as I could tell on the imgburn log the disc had been verified. This is my 4th attempt and probally my last. Trouble is nobody near me uses Vegas or IMGBURN.

Tom Roper January 30th, 2012 05:17 PM

Make sure UDF 2.5 is selected.

Roy Alexander January 30th, 2012 06:23 PM

TOM. Thanks for info. But where do I select UDF 2.5 Incidently can anyone tell me why when I have clicked to get instant notification of replies. I DON'T

Adam Stanislav January 30th, 2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Alexander (Post 1712391)
But where do I select UDF 2.5

Options / File System and Options / UDF Revision.

Seth Bloombaum January 30th, 2012 10:03 PM

Off on a tangent: It's interesting that only one brand of BD-R is working for you. Have other brands ever worked with any software on this PC/OS build?

Are you sure that your burner firmware is the current, latest version? To check this, you'd refer to instructions at the burner manufacturer's website. It is quite possible that other brands aren't working because your burner firmware & driver don't recognize them.

Eric Olson January 30th, 2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Alexander (Post 1712360)
I've just tried to burn another DVD from ingburn. First I printed out instructions from YOUTUbe tutorial. As far as I can tell I followed these instructions to the letter. I wanted to make a disc from files and so clicked onto that panel at the start. Result. The disc played back on the PC from the rewriter and wouldn't play on any standalone player. It just displayed the word data and nothing else. As far as I could tell on the imgburn log the disc had been verified. This is my 4th attempt and probally my last. Trouble is nobody near me uses Vegas or IMGBURN.

Are you burning to a DVD blank or a BD blank?

Roy Alexander January 31st, 2012 02:39 AM

ERIC. I was burning a SD file to a blank DVD. SETH. When this rewriter LG GGW-H20L was working on W.XP
it burn't to many brands. I could even burn HD to DVD discs. Since changing to W.7, the trouble has started.

Roy Alexander January 31st, 2012 03:24 AM

SETH> I forgot to mention in my last post. Both DVDA and the Rewriter work perfectly in W.7 when burning Standard Def, DVD discs. DVDA burns endless copies on demand and the rewritwer LG recognises all brands of blanks. It's only when burning HDV to blu-ray discs the trouble occurs. I am going to put more memory in the PC as I may of overstretched the memory by using XP mode on W.7.

Adam Stanislav January 31st, 2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Alexander (Post 1712445)
It's only when burning HDV to blu-ray discs the trouble occurs.

Are you burning it as data or as a Blu-ray file system? Blu-ray discs (BD) use a completely different file structure than DVD.

That is why I said in my work flow I use DVDA to create an ISO file and burn that to the disc with ImgBurn. But it requires a completely different type of ISO file structure for BD than for DVD.

If you are just burning regular data files or DVD files to BD, your computer will play it but a standalone BD player will not.

Roy Alexander January 31st, 2012 08:46 AM

sorry ADAM I have no idea what you are talking about.

Seth Bloombaum January 31st, 2012 11:00 AM

ISO is a CD, DVD or BD disk image that DVDA can create to hard disk, and many programs can then burn to shiny disk. I too use ImgBurn, it's excellent.

To close the question about firmware - sounds like firmware *may* be up to date, or may not. Possibly your burner manufacturer updated firmware for W7. The same questions need to be pursued for burner drivers.

Adam Stanislav January 31st, 2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Alexander (Post 1712477)
sorry ADAM I have no idea what you are talking about.

In DVDA choose to “burn” the Blu-ray to a file. That file will have the .iso extension and will contain the image of the BD. Then, in ImgBurn, right at the beginning, select “Write image file to disc” and it will burn the ISO file to a disc. The advantage of it is that you can burn that ISO file to any number of discs in the future without having to go through all the troubles of creating a proper file system, as all of that is inside the ISO file already.

With the right software you can even test the ISO file before burning it to disc.

Ian Stark January 31st, 2012 06:30 PM

Re instant replies - I guess you mean email notification when there is a new post. These will only be sent if you have read the post in DVi. If you are just reading the reply in your email then no further notifications will be sent until you have visited DVi again (not sure if that means specifically the Vegas forum, that particular thread, or just anywhere in DVi).

The actual wording is "There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."

Roy Alexander February 1st, 2012 03:06 AM

IAN. I look at ther site several times a day. I can't look at it via Email because I don't get any Email notification. I look at the site several times a day to see if there are any replies to my Post. This is how I got your last post.

Ian Stark February 1st, 2012 03:16 AM

Then either you have Instant Email Notification turned off or they are being sent straight to your spam folder (or being stripped by your ISP before they even get to you).

If it's the former you need to go to Controls (somewhere in the top left of your screen), click Edit Options (in the Settings & Options section), then in the Messaging & Notification section make sure that Instant Email Notification is selected.

David Wayne Groves February 1st, 2012 10:05 AM

No problems with DVDA with windows 7 here as well, I burn DVD single and dual layer discs as well as Blu-ray discs with DVDA, have yet to burn a single coaster using 2 LG Blu-ray burners ......

Ian Stark February 1st, 2012 10:20 AM

That's interesting David. I have a LG BH10LS30 Blu Ray/DVD rewriter which I just installed to replace what I thought was a defective DVD writer (I kept getting infinite 'burning lead-in' times in DVDA that could only be stopped through forcing DVDA to close in Task Manager).

Unfortunately I now get a different error (command failed due to an IOCTL error) which I researched and found to mean that the drive was not probably compatible with DVDA and "will be fixed in a future release". There was another possible reason given, that being an issue with master/slave config but this drive was a straight swap with the old (previously working) drive so I don't think that's the case.

What model is your LG drive, David?

Roy Alexander February 1st, 2012 10:59 AM

IAN. I have had problems with an LG re-writer which has now been diagnosed as not being compatible with windows 7. Col Lamb reported on the IAC forum that he had exactly the same trouble as me and that he had now installed a new LG re-writer the model BH10LS38 which he says works very well. I had almost decided to buy this model myself until I read your post. Unfortunately for me Col Lamb doesn't use DVDA so once again I am in a dilemma. To be truthful I wish I had never heard of HD. Is your problem happening when burning HD and also when burning Standard Def. DVD. With my LG burner it only happens with HD burner. When making normal DVD's it's perfect in every way.

David Wayne Groves February 1st, 2012 02:52 PM

As soon as I get home I will post my Model of LG....

David Wayne Groves February 1st, 2012 03:01 PM

I have 2 of the LG GGW H20L Blu-ray Burners, all work fine with DVDA5Pro with windows 7 ultimate 64Bit ,I have used verbatim Blu-ray discs as well other brands from Newegg on my projects, never had a issue.....

Roy Alexander February 1st, 2012 05:39 PM

DAVID. It is this model that is giving me all the problems. It won't work with my DVD architect 5 studio. I note that you are using the full version of Architect pro. Perhaps that is the difference.

Seth Bloombaum February 1st, 2012 06:23 PM

ahem. cough, cough. firmware. cough. drivers.

Really, Roy, if you're getting different results than other people using the same hardware, firmware and drivers not up to date is suspect.

David, what firmware and driver versions are you on?

David Wayne Groves February 1st, 2012 06:43 PM

Firmware version YL05
Driver 6.1.7601.17514

Roy Alexander February 2nd, 2012 02:07 AM

I don't think I have the same programme as David (I stand corrected I'm just a filmaker) I have VMS 10 platinum and DVD architect 5 STUDIO, and Windows 5 pro 32 BIT. I am trying a later model of burner, which I have loaned to me, to see if it makes any difference. I have the correct firmware but I'll get an expert to check the driver.

Ian Stark February 2nd, 2012 02:46 AM

Roy, just to clear any confusion (or add to it, by the looks of things!) my LG drive worked fine in a different Windows 7/64 PC. It's only since transferring it to this PC (also Win 7/64, also with DVDA 5.2) that I am having problems. I was also having problems with the drive it was replacing so I suspect my issues lie elsewhere. The drive plays DVDs and BRs without issue. It just seems to be burning in DVDA that's causing me a headache.

For the record I am using the same driver as David (the standard Microsoft ATAPI driver) and my firmware is 1.01, which is the latest for my model (LG BH10LS30). I only know that because I recently updated it. What I am unclear about is where you check the firmware version. Can't see anything in Control Panel.

Roy - did you get your email notifications sorted out?

Ian Stark February 2nd, 2012 03:03 AM

Update: I was mistaken. I had downloaded the 1.01 firmware but hadn't flashed the drive with it for some reason. Just done that - and all is well. 2 DVDs burned direct from DVDA since my last post.

Roy, are you certain you have the correct firmware for your drive? How and where are you checking this? I think that the driver is going to be standard across any drive from what I have just been reading, so firmware is where you need to focus first.

Seth, glad you posted your 'ahem, cough' comment yesterday, otherwise I wouldn't have checked this, thinking all was up to date.

Roy Alexander February 2nd, 2012 09:39 AM

I wish to thank all the contributers who have kindly given me advice Alas to no avail. I have installed another LG burner (loaned to me to try) It is the LG BH10LS30 and I am glad to see everything is working OK. The only operation different seems to be that I can no longer can I burn short HD files to a normal DVD. I could do this previously and it saved a lot of cash. Now if I try that a message comes up telling me to install a Blu-ray Disc. However with Aone BD-r costing only 80 pence (UK money) I can live with that. It would seem that my problems with the earlier LG model was that I was advised on a forum to upgrade the firmware, I did that and then the trouble started. Also the DVD architect studio was automatically upgraded and so it now has a higher build number. So it looks like a new burner for me. IAN. I followed you instructions regarding notifications to the letter and I won't know if it has worked until someone answers this post. Thanks again everybody for your suggestions and advice.

Roy Alexander March 22nd, 2012 04:40 PM

I have got everything working as it should simply by ditching the LG re-writer and installing the latest LG re-writer BH10LS38. thanks to everybody who offered advice.