Twixtor -- Let's share settings and/or results at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Twixtor -- Let's share settings and/or results

Hi all,

The work I am currently on is my first attempt at Twixtor. I am having mixed results so far so I've search the web for tutorials and such and couldn't find much variety in their content.

Which is why I had the idea of starting this thread, so that all board users who are experienced with this addon can post the secret recipes.

Even though I start the thread I don't have much to offer so I'll let somebody else get the ball rolling. I did find one trick in my few experiences so far : it is WAY better to apply Twixtor to the clips I need, render them, import those renders and then edit...otherwise Twixtor is such a ressource hog that it will be impossible to edit without my comp coming to a complete halt every time my cursor happens to be over a "Twixtored" clip

Phil
Phil Gosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Twixtor -- Let's share settings and/or results

If this is taking this thread off-topic, please ignore me. I've been having success at SloMo by frameserving out of Sony Vegas to an AviSynth script using MVTools2 The good news about this procedure is that the component software is free. The bad news is that it is more complicated to use than Vegas Plugins such as Twixtor.

Details on usage of this technique can be found here: Avisynth Usage - Doom9's Forum

...Jerry
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Jerry, that is VERY impressive footage.
I wish I could get my head wrapped around using AviSynth.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 09:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, Mike.

I don't claim to be the expert - just a disciple of John Meyer.

...Jerry
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:11 PM   #5
Major Player

Jerry, please do post your script!

Often times I frameserve out of Vegas into Vdub, mostly for frame doubling purposes, this is very useful when I am stuck with 24p footage and need good slow motion. I can frameserve out of Vegas with the doubling script, re-import the clips and adjust playback or use a velocity enveloppe.
Old January 31st, 2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Phil, It's pretty simple. Also, be aware the the original footage was 1080 60p.

Code:
loadplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\mvtools2\mvtools2.dll") 

AVISource("C:\Users\Jerry\Documents\Vegas Projects\@DebugMode\frameserve.avi").Killaudio()

super = MSuper(pel=2)

backward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = true, search=3)
forward_vec = MAnalyse(super, overlap=4, isb = false, search=3)

MFlowFps(super, backward_vec, forward_vec, num=8*FramerateNumerator(last),den=FramerateDenominator(last))

assumefps(59.94)
...Jerry
Old February 7th, 2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Jerry:

Well I just got around to try the script and let me tell you it works great!

What is your workflow? Me when I need to apply effects and/or corrections to footage before editing I would make the corrections and export in a 50mbps MXF, reimport the footage and edit from there. As far as I can tell this is the best lossless workflow possible.

As I said the script works great, but what am I going to export the clips though? VDub is good but won't encode in MXF.

What would be your solution to that issue?

Thanks
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Phil,

I use Debugmode FrameServer to frameserve out of Sony Vegas (this creates a real-time intermediate as the source to AviSynth/VirtualDub).

A good tutorial re: how to use this tool and how to configure it is here: High quality video for YouTube and Vimeo from Sony Vegas (It doesn't deal directly with SloMo, but gives a good overview of Debugmode Frameserver & AviSynth).

...Jerry
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Sorry if I wasn't clear before, I actually got the Frameserve part. My gripe was about what to frameserve it to.

Somebody suggested a lossless codec like Lagarith and Huffyuv. After some testing I chose the former since it gave smaller files at a slower bitrate of 185mb/s. Will post the final results here.

Thanks
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Oh, I guess I should have read your post more carefully, sorry. For that example, I exported to the free version of Cineform, but I've also used Lagarith with success.

...Jerry
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...