How to render for editing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old January 31st, 2012, 10:16 AM   #1
Inner Circle

How to render for editing

I have some 1920 x 1080 24p AVCHD video, 40 minutes in length that I've edited and I must deliver this same video to the customer so that they can in turn edit again.

I had to edit in advance for them because they cannot edit multicamera themselves (which I found out AFTER the shoot) so I had to choose the best shots and audio sources, etc, and now they will simply cut out the best pieces for their own use on the web later. They do not want me to do this, but had originally wanted me to edit and changed their minds, now they want to do it themselves.

Anyway, how to render this footage for them? I just realized I should find out what they are editing with first, so I'll find out and report back.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How to render for editing

It's a pretty short list, and totally depends on what their editing system can accept. The big one is whether they're on Mac or PC.

Avid DNxHD - several flavors, a free codec download from AVID, runs in a QT wrapper, is mac/pc compatible. I've never investigated the various 24p options.

Cineform - (aren't you a big user of this?) Prior to GoPro's purchase, a cross-platform codec with freeware players on Mac & PC. Maybe it still is, I've not kept up.

Sony MXF - if their system will accept it, I've never used it outside of Vegas, don't know much about distribution of the codec outside of the Vegas world.

Lagarith - a freeware codec that's pretty versatile, but you need a bit more DIY to make use of it. Runs in an AVI wrapper.

HuffyYUV - Haven't used this for years, it may be available cross platform. Similar to Lagarith.

Others? Of course I'm listing the common DI formats, very high quality with some compression.

If all else fails - Uncompressed AVI, or QT Animation Codec. Neither of these are compressed, they will be huge. But, for this kind of project you're going to need to deliver on a hard drive anyway. If cross platform, you'll need HFS+ mac drivers on your PC, or they'll need NTFS drivers on their Mac to break the 4GB filesize barrier.

PS. All the above would be considered editing codecs. Some folks ignore conventional wisdom about quality, and deliver highly compressed files in this situation, say, a high bitrate h.264. All the math and codec engineering says they're wrong to do so, but they do it anyway, and the end viewers rarely know the difference.
Old January 31st, 2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Seth, thanks for kindly outlining the options available for me. I want to render right out of Vegas, and I'm thinking of just rendering out to an avi file, and yes the file will be huge, I'm sure.

I just learned they are editing in Windows Movie Maker, so an avi should be fine for them.

Thanks again! Jeff
Old January 31st, 2012, 12:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I just learned they are editing in Windows Movie Maker, so an avi should be fine for them.
WMM? Shudder :(
Beg and/or plead with them to buy a copy of Vegas Movie Studio HD 11
It's only $45 and will make their editing life a LOT easier.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Mike, I hear what you're saying.

The customer is comfortable with WMM, only wants to extract short clips from the video, and should work fine for them.

I really don't care what she uses, to be honest. My main concern is to get files to her and move on to my next project!

Thanks for the advice, it's not a bad idea at all.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

If they are editing in WMM, you may as well render to WMV as that's what they are most likely going to render out to.
I remember not so long ago when I was in WMM and all proud of my movies. lol.
Dan McGuckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

My first video was made with WMM. It was a wonderfully simple interface. I still remember how strange and mysterious the whole movie making thing was to me, and how amazing it was to watch something I put together on a DVD.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Trustee

i still teach my basic course using mm. it's universal, free, and very stable.

it might not have any bells and whistles, but that can be a huge advantage when trying to teach 'structure' rather than anything else.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...