DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   converting format (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/505091-converting-format.html)

Roy Alexander February 7th, 2012 04:38 PM

converting format

I am using VMS 10 HD Platinum and DVDA studio. I shoot with a Sony HDV camcorder. After editing a video in HD and burning a blu-ray video I would like to make SD DVD copies of the finished edit. Is this possible without using another programme?

Adam Stanislav February 8th, 2012 10:53 AM

Re: converting format

You can’t just copy a BD to a DVD, as they use a completely different file layout. You need some software to create the DVD from your original files, or different software to convert the BD into a DVD. But you cannot just make a SD DVD copy of a BD.

Mike Kujbida February 8th, 2012 12:48 PM

Roy, if I understand you correctly, all you have to do is render your existing project to standard def (widescreen mode?) MPEG-2 instead of HD.
Render a short section (1 minute or so) and check it just to confirm that it does work properly.

Roy Alexander February 8th, 2012 02:05 PM

ADAM. Thanks for your reply and when I asked the question I thought the same as you. Since then and before I received your reply, I have tried an experiment without much hope of success. However I Edited my HDV video using VMS 10 HD platinum I then clicked onto make movie which led to DVDA studio and selected burn Bluray disc, which it did . After removing the disc from the burner I went back to VMS10 which still had the HDV video on the time line, I then selected make movie and placed a standard DVD disc in the burner . After rendering, DVDA studio opened up and I selected make DVD, which it did.
So I finished up with a bluray video and also a DVD video, the latter which plays on all DVD players and stand alone Bluray players. So it would appear that an outside programme is not required. My only disappointment is that the programme won't burn a short bluray video to a DVD disc. It used to, which saved money on the cost of the discs, but of course the DVD disc would only play back on a Bluray player. Nobody seems to beable to explain why DVD architect studio won't do it anymore since I changed from W.XP pro to W.7 pro.

Roy Alexander February 9th, 2012 04:02 AM

Hi ADAM and MIKE. In my previous post I might of asked a confusing question, for that I apoligise. What I really should have asked can I burn the HDV timeline onto a DVD disc which will play on any DVD player.
The answer is obviously yes. But I am not sure whether the resultant video on the DVD is SD or HDV. To tell the truth a small audiance comparing the bluray and DVD playback couldn't see any difference. Both discs were played back with an upscaling player. Probally Adam is right and simply by rendering an HDV timeline as Mpeg 2 will not convert it to SD. By allowing DVDA studio to burn the HDV to a DVD is only doing automatically what Mike suggested. Anyway the result is what I wanted so anybody can watch my videos on a DVD player.

Adam Stanislav February 9th, 2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Alexander (Post 1713987)
After rendering, DVDA studio opened up and I selected make DVD, which it did.

Well, yes, but your question seemed to be whether you could make a SD DVD from a BD. And for that you would need something like the DVDFab Blu-ray to DVD Converter.

Steve Game February 9th, 2012 05:47 PM

Roy,

This thread is discussing things that are very close to my current activities. In my experience using VMS HD Platinum on a Win7 64bit Home Premium platform, I can create a DVD from an timeline of HDV clips either by rendering for DVDA Studio 5.0 using the 'DVD Architect PAL Widescreen video stream template in the Main Concept MPEG2 codec, then authoring a DVD using DVDA 5.0, or by using the 'Burn Disc' option in VMS's 'tools' menu.
Similarly, the same two methods are available from the same edited timeline to make a Blu-Ray disc. For these, the codec should be either the Sony AVC codec using the appropriate Blu-Ray template, or the Main Concept MPEG2 Blu-Ray HD template.
Also Roy, I don't have any problems rendering Blu-Ray files to DVD discs. A compliant Blu-Ray player should play a DVD disc with an AVCHD file or an MPEG2 file at HD resolution burnt as data files. Certain players can also play a DVD disc with a full Blu-Ray menu and chapters burnt on it. Specifically, the latest Sony models can do just this. I have created these discs by the normal Blu-Ray method as follows:
Render the timeline(s) to create the video assets in VMS. Then using DVDA, author a Blu-Ray menu as normal. When you are ready to burn the disc, insert a blank DVD. DVDA will then advise whether the video needs recompression. The tip here is to make sure that no video + audio files are greater than 16Mb/s, otherwise a standard Blu-Ray player drive may not spin the disc fast enough to read the data continuously.
Test discs that I have created this way play flawlessly on an entry level Sony BDP-S380. DVD-Rs at 20p each are much cheaper than BD-Rs £2.00 each!

Hope this helps the conversation.

Steve

Roy Alexander February 10th, 2012 03:26 AM

STEVE. Thanks for your very informative post. As I think I've said before, I could elect to burn a Blu-ray disc using DVDA studio and using a DVD blank to burn it to. Very successfully. Since changing from W.XP to Win 7 32 Bit. I can't do it anymore. As soon as I click burn, the DVD disc is ejected. I can't seem to find out why. The consensus seems to be that my burner is not meant to work with W.7 and there is no upgrades to the firmware. AND YET one person has said that he has two burners the same model as mine and they work perfectly with W.7 and DVDA studio. Very conflicting advice and vey confusing to an 84 year old none technical person.

Steve Game February 10th, 2012 03:06 PM

Roy, I have an LG Blu-Ray burner and a Pioneer DVD burner fitted to my edit workstation. DVDA is quite happy with either of them. As BD writers can now be had for under £70, (including VAT of course) it may be worth your while fitting one. You usually get apps. like Power DVD and a useful set of OEM disc utilities supplied.
At least you will get an upgrade for the future and there shouldn't be any issues with firmware or drivers under Win 7.

Steve

Roy Alexander February 10th, 2012 04:41 PM

STEVE. I am already using an LG blu-ray burner in my editing PC and have also got POWER DV 11.
I am using VMS 10 HD platinum along with DVD Architect 5 studio. Between them I am having all the trouble and I wish I knew which one or more of these is the culprit.