Vegas 10.e takes forever to start at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old February 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #1
Trustee

Vegas 10.e takes forever to start

Hallo guys i'm running Vegas 10.e on my precision m6300 XP32bit but when i launch it it takes a couple of minutes (5-7 minutes!!!). For sure there's something wrong with it and another thing pretty annoyng is the enormous amount of crashes. Is there a way to find out the reason of this issue?
Many thanks
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Jubal 28

Re: Vegas 10.e takes forever to start

Is it loading a project while it's opening?

Do you use the Media Manager? If not, disable that. It adds to the boot time.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

With XP, my highest version is Vegas Pro 9 and it can take a few minutes to load. However, on my 64-bit machine, Pro 9, 10, and 11 all load quickly. I think it may be somewhat related to 32-bit.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Trustee

Dear Ed, what makes me worry is the fact that 1 month ago Vegas wasn 'ti that slow! Another strange think is that sometimes it
Freezes!
Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:12 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Mine was slow from the first day it was installed. If the speed has changed, then you must try to determine what changed since then?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Trustee

Maybe the fact that i m tryng to run 3GB of Ram on an XP 32 bit machine? At the beginning it looked faster then when i used to run 2 GB of Ram.....
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Maybe the fact that i m tryng to run 3GB of Ram on an XP 32 bit machine? At the beginning it looked faster then when i used to run 2 GB of Ram.....
Are you using that laptop as an Internet surfing machine? If so, your system might be infested with malware, especially if that laptop is/was directly connected to the Internet without a firewall and not running any antivirus or anti-malware software whatsoever. You see, malware can destabilise a machine, causing program crashes and/or making programs run much slower than they should have.
Randall Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #8
Trustee

HI Ran, Thx for your attention..... I m running Kaspersky. Should i i stall sole think else?
Old March 14th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #9
Trustee

Maybe is related to RAM issues..... What dynamic RAM value do you suggest me to put?
Old March 14th, 2012, 04:07 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Marcus

I doubt whether that would affect loading!!! I ran vegas 9 and 10 on my XP system with only 3GB ram and it loaded in around 30secs....if there is a previous project then it will take time...load Vegas and then click new project and then close it. That way it loads without any media so it should be done in 30 seconds..if not attack the Malware...I use MalwareBytes ...awesome program .. you can be sure it will find something!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Marcus, it is best to not run antivirus software when editing, turn it off if you can.

I have never run any anti virus software in over 15 years. Just don't visit any dangerous sites, you can be fine if you watch where you go.

I have on maybe two occasions been infected by something and I just reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything. In the many years I've saved a ton of money, and my machine runs much better without antivirus software. Just my opinion based on my personal experience.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff

I used to use AVG until their version 9 was replaced. Suddenly my computer, along with all my software (including Vegas) took ages to load..even XP bootup was pathetically slow...the AV program was slowing everything down. I uninstalled the new AVG and the computer was back to speed again!! From that date on I just used MalwareBytes only and it doesn't slow anything down at all!!

The ideal situation, of course, is to have a EDIT computer...not even connected online.

The disk might be rather fragmented too???? I don't have any media on the HDD..everthing is on a 2TB USB drive and I still get great speeds with both editing and rendering even though Vegas to writing to the drive via USB. My USB drive ONLY holds project files and resources ..no software whatsoever!!

I must be doing something right as AVCHD 1920x1080 video rendered to SD MPEG2 in pretty quick on my i7 2600 (around 1/3 realtime or even faster)

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Chris, I ran MalwareBytes (I think it was) last year for about a month or so as an experiment, and it never caught anything so I uninstalled it. At the time I thought I had some malware or a virus, which is why I installed it. I don't remember what the problem was now, but it wasn't malware or a virus anyway, I think it was hardware related.

Anyway, as I recall the program was very quiet and non-disruptive, seemed very good.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #14
Trustee

Marcus,

When Vegas starts up, it tries to load every single plug-in (so it knows what plug-ins to list among the effects available). If it takes too long, chances are a plug-in takes too long to load. If it crashes, chances are a plug-in caused the crash, at least on a 32-bit system.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2012, 02:43 AM   #15
Trustee

If i re install Vegas i will lose all the saved magic bullet preset right?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...