DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Is Vegas a good match to edit JVC GZ-HM650B files well? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/505595-vegas-good-match-edit-jvc-gz-hm650b-files-well.html)

Jeff Wisener February 26th, 2012 01:52 PM

Is Vegas a good match to edit JVC GZ-HM650B files well?

A friend owns a JVC GZ-HM650B camcorder. He wants to begin editing. Here are a few questions:

1. Will Vegas software easily edit the files from this camcorder or will those files need to be converted to something like an AVI file?

2. If the files need to be converted, what convertor software should he use? Does Cineform software convert these type of files?

3. Sine he is just starting, he would be using something like Vegas Platinum 11 unless someone sees an issue with these files & that software.

Thanks

Jeff

Leslie Wand February 26th, 2012 05:15 PM

Re: Is Vegas a good match to edit JVC GZ-HM650B files well?

does the camera shoot .mod files?

if so, he's in for a world of pain no matter what nle he uses ;-(

i use external software to convert to .mxf - then i'm happy.

Jeff Wisener February 26th, 2012 05:24 PM

Leslie:

It claims to be AVCHD format. I have only shot with MOV (Canon 7D) & mp4 (GoPro) thus know nothing about this camera or format.

Leslie Wand February 26th, 2012 08:11 PM

there are as many 'varieties' of avchd as there are camera manufacturers ;-(

Jeff Harper February 27th, 2012 09:46 AM

Vegas should handle the files fine, I suspect, but the issue of whether the computer handles them handily is another issue.

With a sufficient processor, etc a simple single camera track should edit nicely. They might need to be converted otherwise, and in that case there are options.

He needs to try the footage as is first, it might be fine. A conversation about conversion may be premature at this point.

Dennis Vogel February 29th, 2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Wisener (Post 1717395)
A friend owns a JVC GZ-HM650B camcorder. He wants to begin editing. Here are a few questions:

1. Will Vegas software easily edit the files from this camcorder or will those files need to be converted to something like an AVI file?

2. If the files need to be converted, what convertor software should he use? Does Cineform software convert these type of files?

3. Sine he is just starting, he would be using something like Vegas Platinum 11 unless someone sees an issue with these files & that software.

Thanks

Jeff

Tell him he can download each--maybe Platinum first, since he seems to prefer it--and see how they work on his machine. Both have free, 30-day (I believe) trials so he can experiment quite a bit to see how they work for him.

D