DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Avchd & mpeg (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/505788-avchd-mpeg.html)

John Contovasilis March 3rd, 2012 07:34 AM

Avchd & mpeg

I have Vegas 10. I've done multiple multi cam editing projects with Canon HV30 tapes. A friend has asked me to edit a 3 cam shoot. 2 Cams are Canon XHA1--tapes--1440x1080--no problem.. The other file is AVCHD 1920x1080 (I don't know the camera). Can I use the AVCHD files directly in the multi cam project or do I need to change them. Would I ultimately render in 1440 or 1920. I am an amatuer hobbyist

Denis Danatzko March 3rd, 2012 10:21 AM

Re: Avchd & mpeg

I don't know Vegas. (I use Adobe and Edius Neo 2.5, so I can't explain exactly what you must do).

I am nearly certain you'll need to convert the AVCHD into an editable format. Natively, it's heavily compressed and usually uneditable, unless your version of Vegas provides for conversion. Neo 2.5 allows mixing clips of different format types/frame size on the timeline; I don't know if Vegas does.

If Vegas doesn't allow it, and you don't have a means of conversion, I'm pretty sure there are free apps available, but because I use Neo for that, I can't recall any off the top of my head. Search these forums for specifics.

If you REALLY get stuck, depending on the size of the file, I might be willing to run it through Neo and ship it back to you.

Edward Troxel March 3rd, 2012 11:42 AM

Generally speaking: Yes you can. Just drop it on the timeline and go.

David Jimerson March 8th, 2012 09:49 AM

Vegas 10 should handle any AVCHD easily. With up-to-date hardware, it should be a breeze.

David Jimerson March 8th, 2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko (Post 1718682)
I don't know Vegas. . . .

I am nearly certain you'll need to convert the AVCHD into an editable format.

Why would you post this, if you don't know? Why would you even assume it?

David Dalton March 8th, 2012 04:11 PM

It's not a problem.
I've edited a 3 camera shoot in Vegas 10 with clips from Canon HV40, XHA1 (both HD) and HFS21 which is AVCHD.
As Edward says, just drop them on the timeline and go.

Randall Leong March 8th, 2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Contovasilis (Post 1718654)
I have Vegas 10. I've done multiple multi cam editing projects with Canon HV30 tapes. A friend has asked me to edit a 3 cam shoot. 2 Cams are Canon XHA1--tapes--1440x1080--no problem.. The other file is AVCHD 1920x1080 (I don't know the camera). Can I use the AVCHD files directly in the multi cam project or do I need to change them. Would I ultimately render in 1440 or 1920. I am an amatuer hobbyist

Depending on the performance of your computer editing system, you can import AVCHD clips directly into the Vegas timeline. Render to 1440x1080, in this case, since it is easier to get good results with downsizing rather than upsizing. You might want to transcode the AVCHD material to a less compressed format such as Cineform if your system's CPU is on the weak side.