Your personal opinion on Vegas 11 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 21st, 2012, 11:03 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: Your personal opinion on Vegas 11

in general, i'd suggest using Good rather than Best for preview/rendering/etc.

(from the manual)
"Good uses bilinear scaling without integration, while Best uses bicubic scaling with integration.
If you're using high-resolution stills (or video) that will be scaled down to the final output size, choosing Best can prevent artifacts.

Unless you have specific performance problems, choose Good. Choosing Best can dramatically increase rendering times."
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 11:23 AM   #17
Jubal 28

Well, depends on what you're doing it for.

If it's just playing around, then it doesn't matter.

If it's for a client or otherwise for pay, unless you have a really, really tight deadline, a little extra render time is worth it.

Besides, that part of the manual was written quite a while and numerous generations of CPUs ago. I can't imagine the render time difference would be much these days.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2012, 01:58 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Hi Rob, I was talking not about Best in project properties but for the preview windows setting.

As far as project settings using Best, which I think you're talking about, I remember using Best used to be recommended for stills mostly, but nowadays I've seen it recommended by so many people lately I just started using it all the time. As David says, I rendered both ways yesterday with almost no difference in speed, which I know makes no sense, but I think my CPU is maxed out so it's about the same both ways. Don't know if it's better or not, to be hones, it works fine.

Best used to really take a whole lot longer, but not so much anymore, at least for me.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:26 PM   #19
Major Player

I have had the free trial for the last three weeks, and I pretty much like it. As I get used to it, I get more and more proficient, and that is saying something for old fart like me. The one area that I am disappointed is that I cannot product an AVCHD DVD with this program.

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:51 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Mike,
true, but if you 'render image only' in Vegas (Tools / Burn disc) or 'prepare' to a folder in DVDA, you can take those into a free software like ImgBurn and burn the AVCHD disc there. I believe you have the Platinum version 11.

Last edited by Jorma Nippala; March 22nd, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Jorma Nippala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:15 PM   #21
Major Player

overall i like it alot, my render times to .mp4 files are absolutely amazing!

my one gripe is that i can't make any new render profiles with v11 or it wont render
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 10:01 PM   #22
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Parrish View Post
I would like to ask the community for their personal opinion on Vegas 11, pro's, cons.

GPU acceleration a plus for you ?
Render times good ?

Thanks
I have a question to ask you Don, why?

Do you have VP11? Or are you thinking of upgrading?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2012, 12:31 AM   #23
Trustee

why not simply dl the trial and give it a whirl on YOUR pc.

my opinion is that the latest v11 is looking good on MY system.
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorma Nippala View Post
Mike,
true, but if you 'render image only' in Vegas (Tools / Burn disc) or 'prepare' to a folder in DVDA, you can take those into a free software like ImgBurn and burn the AVCHD disc there. I believe you have the Platinum version 11.
Jorma, can you give me a detailed sequence, ie. step by step instruction, on how to do this?
Thanks.
Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 05:34 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Mike,
check my post in the other thread and follow the steps given there. You should be able to get by :)
Jorma Nippala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #26
Regular Crew

I've been using Vegas since v.6. I like the Vegas tools and 'ergonomics'. After upgrading to v.11 and a new system, I'm dissatisfied with the preview quality - both in preview window and on external device (2nd monitor). Choppiness and image tearing are unacceptable.

For comparison I installed a trial version of Premiere CS5.5, loaded the same video files and see no problems with their preview. More here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...r-cs5-5-a.html
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Lepki View Post
I've been using Vegas since v.6. I like the Vegas tools and 'ergonomics'. After upgrading to v.11 and a new system, I'm dissatisfied with the preview quality - both in preview window and on external device (2nd monitor). Choppiness and image tearing are unacceptable.

For comparison I installed a trial version of Premiere CS5.5, loaded the same video files and see no problems with their preview. More here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...r-cs5-5-a.html
It is probably cold comfort to realize that GPU can have a dramatic impact. I know you have a Quadro 4000. I just upgraded to an overclocked GTX580 Classified Ultra that absolutely screams. With the GPU enabled, I can preview Cineform avi's (24p) on the timeline at Best/Full, even when kicking the preview over to a secondary 30" display. Full frame rate, smooth as butter, not one hiccup. Perhaps in your case the Quadro 4000 is not playing well with Vegas.
Steven Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Reid View Post
It is probably cold comfort to realize that GPU can have a dramatic impact. I know you have a Quadro 4000. I just upgraded to an overclocked GTX580 Classified Ultra that absolutely screams. With the GPU enabled, I can preview Cineform avi's (24p) on the timeline at Best/Full, even when kicking the preview over to a secondary 30" display. Full frame rate, smooth as butter, not one hiccup. Perhaps in your case the Quadro 4000 is not playing well with Vegas.
I think it's time for me to seriously consider changing the graphic card. Somebody already advised a GTX for Vegas in the other thread.
My choice of Quadro 4000 was based on several articles, which I guess were kind of misleading.
Old March 28th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

I updated to version 11 this morning.

I must say this is the most worthy update \i have seen sense 8 pro!!

I layed down 20 minutes of hd, did serious color grading, pan and crop and some effects. I ran the preview window at best full screen and it ran at full rate all the time.!!!

I only had one glitch with a new blue effect that caused the grey non response screen. I tried a bit of everything and must say sony did a good job this time!!

I have not run it on my windows seven lap top yet but will give that a go tomarrow.

will also load a long format video just for a look see as well.

I am running my dell xps work station I7 2.67 gh and 10 gigs of ram, do not even know what my card is.
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #30
Inner Circle

I'm finding out I cannot render to Bluray 1080 60i without serious issues, it's a huge pain. I have to render out progressive and I'm not a happy camper at all.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...