Saving Green screen file with alpha channel - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:08 PM   #16
Jubal 28

Re: Saving Green screen file with alpha channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
I have 13 sessions of 15 > 30 minutes which each have four cameras needed to be chroma keyed. I will be switching between cameras but at this point do not know where the switching will occur...and will not know untilI have my graphics in place etc.
I would suggest not attempting any FX until you have your edit in place.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:52 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
I had 'Video for windows (*.avi) > PAL DV Widescreen' selected then in 'Customise Template' chose under 'Video Format', 'Matrox MPEG-2 I-Frame plus alpha'...('Render Alpha Channel' was not selectable...
Jeff Pulera? Had you seen this codec render with transparency in Vegas?

Renton, if you saw transparency in your project, and in the render were unable to select it in the configuration for the Matrox codec (did you try all versions of the codec?), that would be a dead end.

OTOH, we use avi uncompressed + alpha because it works and hard drives are cheap. Quicktime with the Animation codec and 32bpp works too, this is essentially QT uncompressed.

But, if you are just in Vegas, there are different ways to structure a workflow that don't require an intermediate file with transparency. We needed it because at the time we were cutting keys in a specialty program, but wanted to composite in Vegas.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:24 AM   #18
Major Player

The "Matrox Uncompressed HD/SD + Alpha" codecs should work with an alpha channel in Vegas.
Another workaround is to use Debugmode Frameserver (be sure to select RGB32 format) and then encoding to Lagarith in Virtualdub (be sure to configure Lagarith to RGBA mode).

It's a shame Vegas does not correctly recognize Lagarith, UT video etc. as alpha channel capable codecs.

Cineform, btw, can also get alpha channel from vegas in version 11 (not in version 9 it seems, I don't use version 10), however I think only the more expensive versions of Cineform support RGB+Alpha. I have NeoScene and I can get an encode with an alpha channel, but it's watermarked with a license error message.

cheers.

Last edited by Jon Shohet; March 23rd, 2012 at 01:55 AM.
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2012, 07:44 AM   #19
Major Player

On my old Matrox edit system, I did have Vegas installed and I did render to the Matrox .avi codec with success, but I can't say that I ever tried the avi + alpha codec in Vegas, sorry. Could be as simple as changing some settings in the Export dialog, don't have Vegas installed to test at this point

Jeff Pulera

[QUOTE=Seth Bloombaum;1722510]Jeff Pulera? Had you seen this codec render with transparency in Vegas?
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...