Not Again - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 6th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #31
Major Player

Re: Not Again

Everytime this has happened to me with Vegas 10 was when I had more than one instance of Vegas opened. I've been using 11 for a few months now with only a couple of crashes....no clip corruption, very disappointing to know this hasn't been fixed yet. I'll be holding my breath every time I open a project now.
Old May 14th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #32
Trustee

Latest update,
I can confirm that the issue still happens with unique file names. :(((((
One of my long master projects opened today totally screwed up, even had some family video in there that wasn't even in the project at all before, just a random clip left on my Desktop.
This is not good.
Would this work? If you synced your project folder to a back up and scheduled it to sync every day,
then this problem arose,
You then use the previous back up, would Vegas corrupt that too? or would you be good to go again?
This is getting frustrating trying to second guess every way things can go wrong.
:(
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Just wondering something after reading your post Gerald. Could it be a slightly corrupted file system?

What I am getting at is this, many things can cause a problem with the file system. Mainly when you remove power from the system due to a windows lockup, a power outage, a blue screen. Sometimes vegas crashes and I am wondering if people reboot their PC afterwards...

Coming from a technical point of view, if my system crashes or a program crashes, I reboot the system. I don't trust that something is stuck in memory that can re-conflict with anything new you are doing. Now this is me, and I am no where near the editors that are using this board, but from a windows point of view maybe something that people might want to think about.

Also if the system looses power, or has to be forced off, one should run a hard drive error check. Right click drive C: ( each hdd should be done ) properties, Tools, Error-checking, Check Now, Top check box clicked, Start. This wont be able to run while in windows, but on the next windows startup, it will go through and verify the files are not crosslinked etc.

This might not have anything to do with Vegas screwing up in the way you mentioned as it could totally be a fault with vegas, but this is just regular windows maintenance and it can help prevent other/similar issues from happening.

I hope it helps in some way or another...
Joe Kollee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #34
Jubal 28

It's not a Windows problem; it's something in the project file itself. Older saved versions of the VEG files will not have the problem; they would if it were a Windows issue.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I thought it must be a Windows issue at first too, but there are too many people with the issue. I pray it doesn't strike me.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:06 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
I can confirm that the issue still happens with unique file names. :(((((
Out of curiosity, are you overclocking the CPU, video card or memory?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #37
Trustee

hi eric,

i don't think this media swap bug has anything to do with anything else other than some bad code somewhere that gets triggered by.... goodness knows what. in my case my system is perfectly stable, edits hdv with great ease, BUT occasionally (though very rarely) swaps media. i can assure you it does happen, and it's certainly a major show stopper for those that have experienced it.
Old May 16th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
Out of curiosity, are you overclocking the CPU, video card or memory?
Right now, no.
Just using the XMP profile on my motherboard.
Last week though I was, 3930k at 4.5GHz. I got a blue screen of death while rendering so I set it back to defaults.
But to be fair, I was rendering 2 x Vegas projects with Neat Video on both, and a HD to SD conversion in HD Link. The temps were ok last time I looked, but something fell over when I left the room for 5, came back to BSoD.
I really cant see that the Vegas project swap issues are anything to do with Windows,
My Windows SSD is just handling Windows, Project files are on separate drive, source files are on another 2 raid arrays, and I render to yet another drive. And my 1 min auto saves go to another separate drive. If Vegas cant keep its head sorted with different drives for every process of the project I dont know how I can make it any easier.
Maybe an iMac.... 1x hard drive for all files.... as soon as they come out with a 10TB SSD, I'm there :)
Old May 17th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Webb View Post
Right now, no. Just using the XMP profile on my motherboard. Last week though I was, 3930k at 4.5GHz. I got a blue screen of death while rendering so I set it back to defaults.
XMP means your are overclocking the memory but not the CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
in my case my system is perfectly stable, edits hdv with great ease, BUT occasionally (though very rarely) swaps media.
The idea behind overclocking is that a CPU need not be able to reliably execute every valid sequence of instructions in order to reliably execute a particular program. Thus, overclocked hardware may run some programs reliably but not others. Games, word processing and web surfing programs generally contain instruction sequences which are easy to overclock. Video editing programs contain instruction sequences that do not overclock as readily. I run everything at standard speeds when editing video.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #40
Major Player

My work drives are kept clean. I have a T drive and a V drive. TV drives LOL!

T is for temp files and V is for video files. There is only one project and related files on my system at a time. All other projects and related files are on backup USB 3 drives that are offline while I edit. There are no available events and related files from other projects to replace the ones on my current active project.

I hope this helps!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...