Weirdness when rendering Bluray 60i - see attached at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old March 28th, 2012, 04:40 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Weirdness when rendering Bluray 60i - see attached

Ok, I cannot post file so let me describe issue. I tried uploading to Vimeo but the issue goes away after it's converted by the the site.

The video jumps around and is EXTREMELY jittery, and seems to be an interlacing issue. It plays and then jumps back a few frames after rendering, stopping and starting very rapidly. Anyone have a clue? I really wish I could upload clip but dvinfonet will not accept the rendered file for upload, and it's too large for it to be accepted as a zip.

If you email me I will send you a sample to view, it's only 20mb is size.

Original file is 1080 60i and plays fine, and only some clips exhibit the behavior demonstrated

1. I'm rendering a Mpgeg 2 1080 60i from a template, but I've also tried Sony AVC for bluray, does same thing.
2. The project properties match the render settings.
3. When I render progressive the issue goes away.
4. Or If I trim off a bit of the front of the clip the problem goes away.
5. Or If I remove the NewBlue V5 Color Fixer Pro the issue goes away.
6. There is no slow motion applied, it's real time.
7. Windows Media Player files do not exhibit issues.

It looks like a Vegas bug to me. Things I've tried: Moving orignal files to different hard drive, used different copies of the files, rendered to a different hard drive, etc. etc. to rule out HD issues.

The simple solution would be to render 30p, but I really don't want to. The other option would be to remove the NewBlue effect, but that would take a full day of work if not longer as I'd have to individually CC each of 400 clips as this is a multicamera project.

How will the movie look rendered to 30p for Bluray I wonder?

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 28th, 2012 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Forgot to attach file
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Weirdness when rendering Bluray 60i - see attached

If anyone cares to see sample file let me know and I'll email you a sample clip.
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Dustin, I tried to send you file but your email came back returned, and your account here has email turned off....
Old March 28th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
4. Or If I trim off a bit of the front of the clip the problem goes away.
Sounds like the clip is corrupted. What camera and format is the source and how did you capture the clip?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Inner Circle

They are from an SD card. It's doubtful they are corrupted. As I list in the original post when I do any number of things to them they render fine, so if they are corrupted they should be bad all of the time.

when I render to 1440 for example, it's fine, or render to WMV it's fine, only to 1920x1080 60i does this issue manifest itself.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; March 29th, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I've decided to remove the Newblue effect from the project, and I'm going toi color correct each of 400 clips individually, no choice.

Apparently color fixer pro open fx and 1920x1080i footage do work right toghether. As a long term solution though I'm abandoning shooting in interlaced forever, it looks awful after having shot in 720 60p for a season.
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
They are from an SD card. It's doubtful they are corrupted. As I list in the original post when I do any number of things to them they render fine, so if they are corrupted they should be bad all of the time.
It sounds like you may have found your problem with the third-party plugin. However, there is also a possibility that the camera is splitting long clips between multiple files. Most AVCHD cameras appear to create clips that span multiple files by simply cutting the original video clip into pieces without regard to whether the resulting pieces will play properly on their own. In particular, the second and third files of a spanned video clip do not have the same header information as the first file. It is important to rejoin a long clip that has been split up in into multiple files back together before editing in Vegas. Otherwise, it is concievable that Vegas couild misinterpret the interlace and framerate for some files.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Sponsor: JET DV

Jeff, I don't know of any issues with Color Fixer. Can you start a help ticket at NewBlueFX?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Eric, clips were very short duration, thanks for the idea anyway.

Edward, thanks for the suggestion. I have gone ahead and completed color correction using another method. I talked to the customer and they prefer a slightly warmer look, which is so lucky in this case, and I was able to get it done pretty fast.

What is weirdest about the whole thing is that it would render to other formats, or progressively, but not interlaced correctly, and only on some clips.

I have to also say the NewBlue Color Fixer Pro was too much, and the footage looked over processed anyway, so in the end the video came out better, which has taught me a lesson or two.

I'm not going to bother with the help ticket, I'm in a terrible time crunch, and I've not heard of anyone else with the issue anyway.

Thanks for chiming in guys.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...