DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Doing PIP or split screen with SD and HD footage, best composition? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/506486-doing-pip-split-screen-sd-hd-footage-best-composition.html)

Mike Costantini March 29th, 2012 05:27 PM

Doing PIP or split screen with SD and HD footage, best composition?

I want to use SD footage 720x480 as a PIP, or side by side type arrangement with AVCHD 1920x1080 video. Not sure if this is an answerable question, but what would be the best arrangement of frame sizes in order to achieve the most visible usage of the two videos? The combined size of the two frames does not have to be 1920x1080, it can be less like 1280x720, etc..I'm using Movie Studio 11 Platinum Let me know if my question is not clear and I can try to clarify..

Eric Olson March 30th, 2012 01:30 AM

Re: Doing PIP or split screen with SD and HD footage, best composition?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Costantini (Post 1723886)
I want to use SD footage 720x480 as a PIP, or side by side type arrangement with AVCHD 1920x1080 video.

Do you have an example of PIP that works well which you are trying to mimic?

Mike Costantini March 30th, 2012 12:33 PM

I don't have an example, or even a particular vision for what it should look like. I just know that I have an HD frame and an SD frame, which are pretty incompatible dimensionwise and I need to put them together, either in PIP or some kind of side by side so that I can get maximum use out of both frames.

Edward Troxel March 30th, 2012 01:30 PM

Ok, I just created a 1920x1080 project and added two DV clips.

On the upper track I opened Track Motion, changed the width to 1250 and the X to 480 (to move it to the right).

On the lower track I opened Track Motion, changed the width to 1250 and the X to -480 (to move it to the left)

That pretty well fills the entire screen from left to right. It appears you could make the 1250 number slightly larger (try 1280 and see what you think). You will have black bars on the top and bottom.

Mike Costantini March 30th, 2012 01:49 PM

Hi Edward,
Thanks for your reply. I don't quite follow what you were doing with the tracks. When you say two DV clips, do you mean an SD 720x480 and an HD 1920x1080 (as that is what I have to work with). I think what I might have to do is position the subject to the far left or right of the HD frame, and then place the SD as a PIP in the empty area of the HD frame, and adjust the frame sizes as necessary. I can't think of anything else to do just because the sizes are so dissimilar.

Edward Troxel March 30th, 2012 01:52 PM

Yes, 1920x1080 project settings with 720x480 clips. Open Track Motion on the tracks and use the settings I mentioned.

Mike Costantini March 30th, 2012 01:56 PM

That must be where I wasn't clear in my question - I have one 720x480 clip and one 1920x1080 clip, NOT two 720x480 clips. Sorry for the confusion on that.. My first concern was mixing the SD and HD footage, but I did a simple quick dirty PIP render with the two clips and Vegas handled it fine. So now that that's out of the way, I am trying to figure out the best way to combine these two frames.