DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Need help with simple edit/transition (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/506573-need-help-simple-edit-transition.html)

Mike Feggans April 1st, 2012 07:47 PM

Need help with simple edit/transition

I'm almost embarrassed to ask this as it seems its probably so simple, but I seemed stumped at the moment on how to create it. I'm working on some car footage for a racing project

I'm trying to figure out how to create this edit in Vegas that is seen in the first 5 seconds of this video. How there isn't a cut, the camera never moves but the car moves.

Please, dont laugh at me :) Any ideas?

Peter Manojlovic April 1st, 2012 08:32 PM

Re: Need help with simple edit/transition

I'm not a Vegas user, but this isn't a transition issue...

In fact, what you're seeing isn't a transition. It's a cut that's been ripple edited.
This is simply, a camera on a tripod, with continuous roll...Razor between say 2;00 and 3;00, and then rippled.

Good luck!!!

David Jimerson April 1st, 2012 09:21 PM

That's not a "ripple edit," per se.

It IS a clip where sections have been edited out, causing the jump, and it can be achieved by using ripple edits, but it's not a ripple edit in and of itself. A ripple edit is a timeline tool, not an effect in a clip.

There's no razor tool in Vegas; you simply put the cursor where you want the cut to go and press S.

Mike, basically what you're doing is cutting out sections of the clip and then pushing the remaining sections together.

Mike Feggans April 1st, 2012 11:08 PM

I still cant seem to make it "jump" without it seeming like a cut. It the clip above it looks one continuous shot but the car jumps. There doesn't seem to be a "hard" cut.

Back to Vegas to try it some different ways until I get it right..

Thanks yall

Gerald Webb April 2nd, 2012 01:36 AM

Its just a locked off camera on a tripod with cuts. It has that effect because the background is stationary so doesn't move at all.
Same as the cliché old magic trick,
Samantha wiggles her nose, then steps out of scene, cut out the walking out of scene part, and she disappears..... like magic.
It looks cool because the framing of the shot never changes, like in the video.

Don Bloom April 2nd, 2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Feggans (Post 1724445)
I still cant seem to make it "jump" without it seeming like a cut. It the clip above it looks one continuous shot but the car jumps. There doesn't seem to be a "hard" cut.

Back to Vegas to try it some different ways until I get it right..

Thanks yall

Well it is absolutely 100% a "cut" in editing but as it has been noted this shot MUST be done on a tripod so there is no movement of any of the other elements in the shot. As long as the camera isn't moving in either pan, tilt or zoom the background will not change and hence you can cut any number of frames and the only thing that will "jump" is the moving object, in this case the car.
For a shot like this a tripod is your friend!

Mike Feggans April 2nd, 2012 06:16 AM

Ahhhh . I get it. Thanks!. For some reason, I just couldn't visualize it in my head looking at the timeline until you said "Samantha wiggles her nose". I get it now. I appreciate it yall.