DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Inserting deinterlaced clip into interlaced project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/506832-inserting-deinterlaced-clip-into-interlaced-project.html)

Art Willig April 10th, 2012 08:33 PM

Inserting deinterlaced clip into interlaced project

I'm forced to steady a clip using vdub's deshaker filter which works best deinterlaced. However, the rest of my project is interlaced. Is there a proper way to insert a deinterlaced clip into an interlaced project? I'm going to render the project to m2t and running vegas pro v10.
Thx

Eric Olson April 10th, 2012 09:25 PM

Re: Inserting deinterlaced clip into interlaced project

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Willig (Post 1726369)
I'm forced to steady a clip using vdub's deshaker filter which works best deinterlaced.

Your workflow should be

60i -> deinterlace -> 60p -> deshaker -> 60p -> weave -> 60i

If you are feeding 30p to deshaker, then you have thrown away half of your source video.

Art Willig May 2nd, 2012 02:26 AM

It shows how to do the deshaker in vDub properly here

David Jimerson May 3rd, 2012 01:41 PM

If you deinterlace to 60p, you don't really have to reinterlace the clip.

Art Willig May 3rd, 2012 03:15 PM

You mean once dropped back into the timeline, sony vegas will re-interlace to the project specs?

Chris Harding May 3rd, 2012 07:47 PM

Hi Art

Most of my weddings have interlaced footage from the main cameras and then progressive from my GoPro Hero ... as long as you set de-interlace in Project properties to either Blend or Interpolate then you can drop in already de-interlaced footage into the timeline with no issues!! Render will apply interlacing to the entire timeline if you have specified it in the render options or the template or used a template that has interlacing specified...just add the stabilized footage and render as normal

Chris

David Jimerson May 3rd, 2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Willig (Post 1731290)
You mean once dropped back into the timeline, sony vegas will re-interlace to the project specs?

It will when you render.

Art Willig May 4th, 2012 10:46 AM

I'll give it a shot.
Thanks all

Art Willig May 9th, 2012 09:13 PM

Actually, it previews/renders in Vegas with black bars on the top and bottom with the project settings NTSC DV (720x480, 29.970 fps). The only way I can get it full screen is to add the final interlace filter in vDub then import to Vegas.

David Jimerson May 10th, 2012 02:26 PM

The bars don't have anything to do with interlaced/not interlaced. It has to do with frame shape.

Art Willig May 10th, 2012 04:15 PM

I told deshaker to match the input size and even set it to 720x480 manually. Media info shows this to be true but sony sees it differently and adds black bars at the top & bottom. It's only when I uncheck maintain aspect ratio that it displays perperly at full screen and is all put back together by vegas.

Adam Stanislav May 12th, 2012 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Art Willig (Post 1732635)
It's only when I uncheck maintain aspect ratio that it displays perperly at full screen and is all put back together by vegas.

As it should be! 720x480 has the aspect ratio of 3:2, so unless your project has that ratio you either have to add black bars or stretch it to 4:3 or 16:9 or whatever ratio your project uses. 3:2 is wider than 4:3 and less wide than 16:9. Wide screen DVDs adjust for it by setting the PAR accordingly so stretching a wide screen video to 16:9 or squeezing the full screen video to 4:3 is the appropriate action.

Code:

3/2  = 1.5
4/3  = 1.33333...
16/9 = 1.77777...

So, if you want to keep the 3:2 ratio of 720x480 in a 4:3 project, you need to add black bars above and below the image. And if you want to keep the 3:2 ratio in a 16:9 project, you need to add black bars left and right.

But if it comes from a DVD, the PAR is never 1. If it is a full screen DVD, you need to fit the 3:2 ratio of the video file to a 4:3 monitor (old style TV). And if it is a wide screen DVD, you need to fit the same 3:2 ratio to a 16:9 monitor (modern TV). The concept is similar to anamorphic film, though the ratios are different.

David Jimerson May 12th, 2012 10:40 AM

You don't have to do anything with "Maintain Aspect Ratio." You just just need to change the pixel aspect ratio of the clip from 1.000 to what it should be -- 0.91 for 4:3; 1.21 for 16:9.

And again, this has nothing to do with interlacing.