New computer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 12th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #1
Trustee

New computer

I'm in the process of acquiring a super computer - at least something up near the top of the range - as a result of the helpful - though costly :-) = discussion on the thread 'Video cards and vegas'.

Clearly I will be running it as a 64 bit machine and running Vegas 64 bit. Is there anything special that needs to be done to enable Vegas to fully utilise the power of this beast?

ALSO...hmmmm...just discovered that Cinescore does not run in 64 bit. Anyone have any work arounds on this? I've sunk a bit of gold in Cinescore...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New computer

The higher clock speed the better for Vegas. Below at the first link you can purchase a PC with overclocked CPU at 4.4gHz with liquid cooling. It should chew through pretty much anything pretty well. If that isn't enough, look at the dual or quad Xeon systems at Puget below for the specs on some real monsters.

GamePC - Smallest Liquid Cooled i7 Computer w/ 3-Way SLI

Here's another place to look:

Desktop Computers: Custom Built Home Desktop Computer Systems

You can take the specs and build your own if needed. When you're talking super computer you're talking liquid cooled, for sure.

Personally, I've alway wanted a dual CPU system.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Trustee

'Cinescore does not run in 64 bit'

when i went 64 some time ago, i think i had cinescore running quite happily under win7 (rtm).

got rid of it very soon after as i found getting music written via versus or freelancers much 'cheaper' and more original sounding....
Old April 12th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Renton, if you mean there isn't a 64 bit version of Cinescore, that doesn't matter, as Leslie says. It will still run.
Old April 13th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
The higher clock speed the better for Vegas. Below at the first link you can purchase a PC with overclocked CPU at 4.4gHz with liquid cooling. It should chew through pretty much anything pretty well. If that isn't enough, look at the dual or quad Xeon systems at Puget below for the specs on some real monsters.

You can take the specs and build your own if needed. When you're talking super computer you're talking liquid cooled, for sure.

Thanks guys. Actually...all the bits are on the way...should be here tomorrow...super computer 'for me' I should have added...not dual CPU nor water cooled... :-( ...costs enough as it is!!!

Re Cinescore: Can .veg files go back and forth between Vegas 32 bit and 64 bit? Read somewhere that as Cinescore works as a plugin in 32 bit (but not in 64 bit) that a .veg file generated in 64 bit can be dropped into Vegas 32 bit, have the music inserted, then opened in 64 bit again. Otherwise the music would have to be created in Cinescore working as a stand alone program, and then put into Vegas.
Old April 13th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #6
Trustee

my workflow was always cut / video fx in 64, lock off pic, then audio mix in 32. when happy create .wav, lay back in 64 and render.
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks Leslie...however I am not up with the meaning of some of your terms..thus I don't have grip on your work flow.... :-(

What does 'cut / video fx in 64' and, 'lay back in 64', mean?

Pardon my ignorance on this matter.
Old April 13th, 2012, 03:53 AM   #8
Trustee

no problem:

in 64bit:
cut = 'edit' usually basic program with no fx, titles, etc.,
get client approval
video fx= add xf, titles, bling, greenscreen, whatever to final picture 'edit' stage
get client approval
on 32bit:
do full audio mix till client happy
render .wav file
back to 64bit:
use .wav file instead of original audio from the 'picture' edit
humbly accept cheque......

of course, at very stage there's a .veg back-up, so popping back in and re-editing is a doddle - as long as the client's paying ;-)
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post

Jeff, I looked at your second link, Puget and I must say the only thing that impressed me was their prices. They are really impressively high, but the available configurations do not impress me at all. Especially the Genesis I is a severe disappointment, not only because of the price, but because of the missing GTX 680 as an option, or the GTX 580 3 GB, the use of very questionable RAM on a 3930K system. It should be 1.35V memory without Micron chips, and Kingston just will not do, especially if you want to overclock. The very, very limited number of hard disks, the lack of a dedicated raid controller, the very limited cooling options, and some other but minor stuff. Just thought to let you know that IMO this firm does not look attractive.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #10
Trustee

Thanks Leslie...I knew most of the terms but not the way you put them together...

But just to clarify...you take your 64 bit - shall we call it 'composition'...the whole shooting box (not a technical term) - video, audio with the video, any photo, titles, etc etc, save it, then open it...(the veg file?)... in Vegas 32 bit?

Then...you open Cinescore as a plugin in Vegas 32 bit, compose your music to fit all the rest of the other stuff... and save/render...what as a wav? Just the Cinescore track...which is then brought into the 64 bit on it's own audio track? Or the total audio from the whole shooting box? Or either or...depending on what else needs to be done...

Collect the loot...after approval...
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Renton

I think what Leslie means is do all your video editing on X64 and then you will be able to figure what length music tracks you need......open up X32 and create just an audio track with Cinescore and then render it out to a wav file. Close X32 and open X64 and add the audio already trimmed to size.

That's the workflow I use with Smartsound!! Edit my video then figure, OK, I need 1:32 of music ...I then generate a 1:32 music track in SS and export it to the clients folder and use Vegas to import my custom length track. All you are really doing is using Vegas 32 and Cinescore as an audio/music creator.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:35 AM   #12
Trustee

spot on chris ;-)
Old April 13th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Trustee

Got it. Thanks so much. Appreciated.

...the computer parts have all just arrived... :-) Must go and open the boxes
Old April 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks Harm, good point about Puget. I knew Renton was going to build his own, so it was more of a suggestion for gathering specs, but I agree I didn't care for some of their options either. I didn't study their CPU offerings, so I don't know how current they even were in that dept. The second company certainly offered some interesting configurations.
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Have you looked at Boxx?

I use one for CG and it's pretty capable/ Liquid cooled, overclockd i7 6 drives, etc
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...