DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How to group clips? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/507022-how-group-clips.html)

Jeff Harper April 17th, 2012 09:13 PM

How to group clips?

Problem: I have dozens of assorted clips scattered on single line in Vegas. I want to close the gaps between them. How to I instantly cause them all to form a group, so that they are all adjacent to each other with no gaps? I realized today I could use the photomontage tool in Ultimate S to do this, but I'd like to find a way within Vegas to do the same thing, since I'm not making a montage. I figure there must be a script or something floating around somewhere.

Mike Kujbida April 18th, 2012 01:24 AM

Re: How to group clips?

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff, see if this script works for you.
edit: this will get rid of the gaps but the grouping is up to you.

Jeff Harper April 18th, 2012 04:17 AM

Thanks Mike! I'll be trying it out very soon!.

Gerald Webb April 18th, 2012 04:37 AM

That is awesome Mike, for ages I've wished you could do like in Premiere, right click in an empty space and "delete gap". While this isn't the same, its very useful none the less.
cheers people

Mike Kujbida April 18th, 2012 04:55 AM

Gerald, if it's only one blank space to delete, I double-click to highlight the space and then press Ctrl+Shift+F (post-edit ripple that moves everything over).
I do it because I always forget that I have this script :)

Edward Troxel April 18th, 2012 06:56 AM

I use the gap/overlap tool in Excalibur for this. It will let you create gaps, create overlaps, or changed the timecode to "zero" and it will make them all cuts.

Ian Stark April 19th, 2012 03:08 AM

I have no doubt Mike's script is excellent so absolutely not trying to detract from that (plus it's free!!), but I wanted to give another thumbs up for Gap/Overlap in Excalibur. I don't think a day goes by when I don't use it (and Select Events, both of which are now on my toolbar).

Gerald Webb April 19th, 2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Kujbida (Post 1727913)
Gerald, if it's only one blank space to delete, I double-click to highlight the space and then press Ctrl+Shift+F (post-edit ripple that moves everything over).
I do it because I always forget that I have this script :)

Ha, Never noticed that before. heaps cool.
Thanks Mike.
Any day you learn something new is a good day :)

Mike Kujbida April 19th, 2012 06:41 AM

You're very welcome Gerald.
Speaking of learning new things, I have Excalibur but, to this day, have never explored all the things it can do as Edward so graciously reminded me :)

Jeff Harper April 19th, 2012 07:07 AM

Mike, it miight be be something I did wrong, but it appears the script causes the length of my video clips to change in some instances. I'm not positive your script caused it, but I haven't had a chance to recreate the situation, I''m so busy right now.

I did use it and things did group fine, but due to new length they were a bit of a mess, but I also did some things after I used your script that could have caused the issue, I just don't know for sure what happened.

Mike Kujbida April 19th, 2012 03:57 PM

Jeff, you didn't do anything wrong. There's definitely something wrong with that script. I used to use it in Vegas 6 with no problems but I just tried it in Pro 8 and 10 and it did some very weird things to the clips.
Back to Excalibur where I should have gone in the first place :)