Render Problem - Unknown Error at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 17th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Render Problem - Unknown Error

I've just set up my new pc, and have been trying to render a project for a while. About a minute into the render, it fails and gives me an "unknown error".

Pc specs:
Vista 64
2 TB primary drive
1 TB secodary
10 GB memory
i7 Six core processor

I have some editing files on the primary drive, and some on an external drive. Rendering to the secondary drive.

Thanks for any help!
Ryan Laytart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Render Problem - Unknown Error

Hi Ryan

Are you using just one clip or a bunch of clips/media ???..I had a render that simply died a little way thru and I fought for days to get it right. It turned out that I had one clip (a short 10 second overlay) that was corrupt!!

If there is more than one piece of media in the project try dropping the media out piece by piece until your project renders and you should find the culprit. If you have a rough idea of your render speed then you can also calculate where it's tripping up on my i7 rendering from 1920x1080 to SD I know that it takes the processor about 1/3rd of realtime to render so if my project was crashing at 1 minute I would see what's on the timeline at around the 20 second position and suspect that as the fault!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:48 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Laytart View Post
I've just set up my new pc
Have you checked that the CPU cooling, graphics card and power supply on your new computer are adequate? The hardware may overheat after a minute of rendering and cause the software to give an error.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Trustee

actually what are you rendering from and to what?
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I had the exact same issue with Vegas 11 first release, it was maddening.

First try to render a different format. If your problem is happening during a render to WMV for example, then try rendering to something different. If you can render to something different, but not your desired output, then try the following:

If you have a previous version of Vegas installed, uninstall both versions, reboot your computer, and then defrag your computer. Then reinstall ONLY Vegas 11.

If that doesn't work, reformat your hard drive and reinstall Vista.

If that doesn't work move up to Windows 7. Vegas 11 should work fine with Vista, but it was designed with Windows 7 in mind.

Extreme I know, but it's what I did to fix the problem and it worked. I reinstalled Windows 7, and then first thing I installed on top of that was Vegas 11 and it was fine.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Jeff: I am using Vegas 9 on Windows 7. I haven't bothered to install the Vegas updates yet, as I've have problems with the updates in the past.

Leslie and Chris: It's a combination of clips and source files, including floating pictures, background videos, and an effect or two.

Eric: An overheating problem could be it, as well. The cpu's carry along at about 75 to 80%, then for a few seconds before the error, it cranks up to max. I thought I seen an option to limit the processor usage, somewhere, but I didn't have time search for it, last night.

I'll be doing more tests, today. Thanks for the replies!
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:22 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Ryan, your original post said Vista 64 bit, and you didn't mention which version, assumed Vegas 11, sorry.

It sounds like maybe a troublesome clip or other event?

Your processor load is not an indicator of overheating necessarily. To monitor your temps download and install CPU Temp and you can see what is happening. Overheating shouldn't cause Vegas to stop, I think it would just slow down, but I could be wrong. When your temps rise and your CPU load gets heavy Vegas will slow down, that is normal.

Good luck with your tests. Try rendering a short clip of just video with not effects, or try removing events from your project till the issue stops so you can isolate the problem.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
To monitor your temps download and install CPU Temp and you can see what is happening.
CPU Temp is a good idea. Note, however, when your CPUs are running 100% they will draw more current and may cause the power supply to overheat. This may not be reported by CPU Temp.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Sorry about the confusion, Jeff. I'm still not used to having Windows 7.

One other thing... the majority of my source files are on an external 500gb USB drive. I'm wondering if the drive can't keep up with the render.

Then again, the error seems to occur at the same point, each time.

I'll let you all know when I try more things.

Thanks.
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Did you try to render just straight video project to see if a basic render will work?

Cut all the media from the project and try pasting it into another new instance of Vegas while your at it.
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
actually what are you rendering from and to what?
Hi - I think this may be a significant question. I have managed to reproduce this error fairly regularly.

I start with stuff from a Panasonic TM900 - 1920x1080 50P; mts files. Rendering that to a mpeg2 type file is challenging - there is no standard template, and you have to pick something sort of close and modify it. Not infrequently the process falls over with "unknown error".

I have found a solution that works for me - render to Sony AVC/mp4, with the appropriate settings. This seems to work. Export to PS3 and play from there.

Hope that's some help.
Ron Windeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #12
Regular Crew

I resolved the error, earlier tonight. There were a few settings within the "System" tab of my MPEG template which differed from my previous settings. Namely, the video buffer size was set to 23, as opposed to 232... "align sequence headers to packets" was not checked.... and "timestamps on all frames" was selected, as opposed to "timestamps on I frames only".

I'm not sure which of those was the culprit.

Also good to note that I updated to version "e", prior to the above mentioned settings... something I was hesitant to do, as I've had issues with updates in the past. The error STILL REMAINED after the update, though.

Thanks for the help and suggestions. Now it's time to delve into Encore. I'm still using 2.0, and it really hates new versions of Windows. When I get this solved, I'll be set.
Ryan Laytart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...