Capture problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 18th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Capture problem

Hi

I'm trying to capture about 30 minutes of DV (High Def) from a JVC GY110U. Did it a bunch of times with no issues on my XP system but had a system failure and need to capture on my Win7 system. I used Vegas to capture a long time ago but have more recently used Cineform which is not installed on my Win 7 system

Vegas is installed (both 9 and 11) and camera is hooked up by Firewire.

Win 7 sees the camera and reports it as an HD100 which I think is OK. Anyhow this indicates to me that the firewire connection is OK

When I try to capture in Vegas I get a "Device Not Available" message.

I haven't run a capture in a few months and wonder if I'm forgetting something basic

Camera is in VCR mode. I THINK Vegas should start the camera moving but ...

Any suggestion??? I'm under the gun to get this edit done this week so of course I run into all manner of problems!!! Maybe I need to sacrifice a goat to the computer gods or something.

Thanks

Edit - Firewire port switch on the cam is set for HDV as it should be

In the capture preferences window there are no devices listed - just "Device not available"

Last edited by Jim Andrada; April 18th, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Capture problem

I have the same problem. I had Vegas Pro 8 installed on a Win7 (64-bit) machine and never had a capture problem. I installed Vegas Pro 11(64-bit) around Feb timeframe and I believe I was able to capture on that version as well. Then, in mid-March I attempted to capture and got the Device Not Available message. Tried Vegas Pro 8, same thing. Went to the legacy driver and did a system restore, no joy.

When the firewire is attached and then the camera turned on to PLAY mode, there's no "ba-donk" chime from the laptop like it's supposed to do when it recognizes the connection. Uninstalled Vegas 8, no change. Unistalled Vegas 11 and reinstalled, no change. I was on travel and when I got home I tried it on another machine with Vegas 8 and Win7 (32-bit). No problem. Captures fine. It's not the camera, not the cable, not the camera settings. I use CCleaner to clean my laptop and fix registry problems. Maybe CCleaner removed a necessary file, but I've been using it for years on these same machines without a problem. I use Norton 360 anti virus. Checked Sager site for latest driver info and I'm all up to date. Laptop is a Sager NP8130.

Edit: DV and HDV capture does not work. HV30 does not show up in the Vegas devices listing, only the web-cam (Bison) is listed. Installed CS5.5 Premier Production, couldn't capture with that program or HDVSplit.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

OK - I checked and I DO get the windows noises when I turn the camera on or switch between play and record modes. So clearly Windows is talking to the camera.
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Major Player

Something that might work for you is to switch to the legacy driver.

Open Device Manager, Double click on IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers, you will see it expand and list the current driver, "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller". Right click on it, select Properties, select Driver tab,

Click on Update Driver, Click on "Browse my computer for driver software". Make sure the box is checked for "Include subfolders", click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", select "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)".

Attempt to capture. It has worked for some folks.

Mark
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Jim I've used Windows Movie Maker to capture when stuck, but I remember it had limitations, but I forget how it worked and what issues it might have presented. But I do know I've used it more than once when Vegas gave me trouble. Like you it has been ages since I've captured tape.

Could it be a setting on the camera that needs changed, I wonder? That has 'got' me more than once in the past.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #6
Inner Circle

@Mark

Thanks much - only problem is where the @#%$ is device manager in Win 7?

By the way - just noticed you're in Japan - I worked there 6 years and all of my clients are in Japan. Great place, nice people (including my wife!)

@Jeff

Thanks as well - I looked at the lates movie maker and it seems to only support webcams any more. I tried Final cut express on the MacBook and it only seemed to support SD - when I switched the camera it started up and ran to end of the recorded tape. But no file anywhere.

Damn but this is frustrating - or worse.I shot a video for a local conductor who needs to submit a DVD to a conducting competition in Japan before 5/1. Seiji Ozawa is the chief judge so this is a big deal competition.No way I can fail on this one - it would set the guy back a year in his career. I think I'm at the point of trying to find someplace that can capture the tape for me regardless of what it costs. No idea where to look in Tucson though.
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Just google and find your competitors and ask for a favor, I would be happy to do it for you if you were here. I'm sure someone would capture for you.
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #8
Major Player

Jim,

Click on the windows icon button in lower left hand corner, click on Control Panel, Click on Hardware and Sound.

At top of page under Devices and Printers, click on Device Manager.

(They'll probably move it again in Win8).

I like all the Asian countries. Going to Thailand tomorrow in fact. I came to Japan in 2005, intending to stay for a 2-year assignment. I'm here about 5 months out of the year and traveling the Asian countries the rest of the time. My hobby was woodworking, but I could tell it wasn't going to work well with the hotel living. Took up photography and videography to beat back the boredom totally unaware of the never-ending list of stuff one just HAS to have. I've sunk about $45,000 into it. Learning a lot and having fun though.

Mark
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Hi Jeff - I'm googling as we speak.

I have a couple of other SW tricks to try and I guess in absolute worst case I could capture analog out somehow. Ugly but better than nothing
Old April 19th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Jim double check that your camera and Vegas are set the same.

For example, make sure if you're capturing HD, that Vegas is set to capture HD, not SD or vice versa. This very thing has tripped me up many times.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Well - progress but...

I did what Mark suggested and got the legacy driver installed

Went into Vegas and started a capture

Tape started moving (Hooray!!!) and I could see the tape playing in the preview window

Capture ran for about 35 min- to the end

But - nothing showed up in the timeline and I can't find any m2t file on my system

So close and yet so far. I must be missing SOMETHING but what?
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Do you mean you cannot find the captured video files? If that is the case you need to look at the Vegas settings for capture so you know where it was captured to. I always set the location manually to where I want the video to be put as it's captured.

If I misunderstand disregard post.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:49 AM   #13
Inner Circle

@Mark

Thanks much - progress but not quite across the goal line though

Your story sounds like mine - used to work in IBM's Storage division and took a 90 day business trip to Japan to manage a product announcement in Asia Pacific.

90 days turned into a year, after which I got a series of assignments for another 5 years. First couple of years i was dong storage marketing but was taking language lessons all the while and got to where they switched me to a small "covert" group pursuing joint deals with Japanese computer companies. Did a lot of work with NEC and after I returned to US I kept working with them, even after retiring from IBM
Also got married while I was in Japan and home language has been Japanese for 22 years now. I'm not fluent but functional which considering I was almost 50 when I started isn't too bad. Re woodworking, I actually had a bandsaw in my apartment in Tokyo.
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Jeff

Exactly - no idea what Vegas did with it. Search says there are no *.m2t files on the system also not finding where to set the folder etc. Duh - it's been about 3 years since I captured a tape, but the JVC is my best cam and I wanted to do a good job for our friend. If only I had known how much fun this would be I would have run down to Best buy or used my GoPro or something!!!!!!
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #15
Inner Circle

They are on the C drive for sure, possibly in your Window User folders somewhere.

Look at the Capture folder tab, what you need to know should be there.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture problem-capture.png  
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...