Benefit of external H.264 encoder, if any? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old April 24th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Benefit of external H.264 encoder, if any?

I have Sony Vegas and will need to start encoding to H.264 format for downloadable video products. I know Sony Vegas can encode from the timeline to this format, but I also am aware of other encoders available for purchase. Does it benefit me in any way to use a different encoder than the one Vegas uses? If so, which would you suggest and why? My starting format will be AVCHD 1920x1080 and probably scale down to 1280x720. Thanks!
Mike Costantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Benefit of external H.264 encoder, if any?

If you are authoring blu-ray disks using DVD Architect stick with the built-in encoder because many external encoders are not compatible with DVD Architect. If you want to squeeze more video onto a DVD, then an external encoder such as x264 can give noticeably better quality. In this case you will need a different program to author the DVD, because the files produced by x264 are not compatible with DVD Architect.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Eric, thanks for the reply, however, I was not asking about blu-ray or DVD. I am encoding for downloadable video files (not streaming)..In another forum, I was referred to this video:

Seems people like a program called Handbrake so I'm looking into that now...
Mike Costantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Trustee

Once you try Handbrake you will never encode to mp4 in Vegas again, visual quality for bit rate/file size is outstanding.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...