new Pro 11 update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Inner Circle

new Pro 11 update

Notable fixes/changes in version 11.0 (Build 682/683)

Fixed a crash that could occur on some computers during playback if the Split Screen View was used in the Clipboard mode.
Fixed a crash that could occur when right-clicking the Pan/Crop ruler.
Fixed a crash that could occur opening certain FLAC files.
Fixed a crash or hang that could occur when switching between Video FX and Compositors windows with certain OFX plug-ins.
Fixed a hang that could occur with Spiral, Split, Squeeze, and Zoom transitions on certain NVIDIA GPUs.
Fixed the ability render more than 4 channels of audio to Sony MXF format.
Fixed an issue that could cause garbled audio in the rendered file if the last playback direction was reverse.
Re-enabled GPU acceleration of Cookie Cutter (Video FX) and Page Loop (Transition) on AMD GPUs when running Catalyst 12.2 or newer.
Fixed an error message that would appear when writing to theSony XDCAM Professional Media Station (XDS) internal drive from Vegas.

Sony Creative Software - Download: Vegas Pro 11.0
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: new Pro 11 update

hello there mike ;-)

i see no reference to media replacement bug?

is this considered fixed?

if so, having experienced it with 595, it's most definitely bye bye vegas....

very, very unhappy, but with two major projects looming i really can't afford to take any avoidable risks, and this replace media bug IS a show stopper which ever way you look at it..

addendum: dl'ed and installed. so far so good, but that's not saying much....
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Major Player

Fixed a crash that could occur.... hallelujah! I've had no issues issues with media replacing itself but my Vegas crashes constantly, every few minutes, I save after almost every tiny change I make. Strangely enough Vegas is rock solid on my Dell XPS notebook. Lets hope this this update works...
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I've had random crashes using some transitions, very frustrating, hopefully this will fix it.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:45 AM   #5
Major Player

Nope still crashes all the time...
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Trustee

Hmmm...I had three crashes last night while using Boris RED as a plugin...just froze...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I really wonder if it's an NVidia conflict. What the heck else could it be. Does anyone having these crashes use Radeon gpus, I wonder?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Trustee

Vegas has been as stable as for me - never had this...mind you I haven't had Boris Red either. This was on my new computer with 64 bit. For what it's worth I have a Nvidia gpu...EVGA Geforce GTX570 to be precise...
Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM   #9
Trustee

I've downloaded Excalibur to try it out and in my first play around with it, Vegas seized...(is not responding)...but only temporarily. However I closed out of that and open Boris RED as a plugin and Vegas seized immediately and did not respond again...
Old May 4th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #10
Sponsor: JET DV

In Excalibur, to speed up the loading, each tab will only load what it needs once it is first activated. If a tab needs to read a list of renderers or effects or anything of that nature, it can take several seconds for that tab to load the first time. So that could account for a slight delay.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #11
Major Player

Render to new track Q:

When rendering a selection of a *.wav track I've always been using the Wave(Microsoft) (*.wav) default template, which gave me a perfect copy of the segment I needed to import into my other software. Not anymore; the volume of the copy is so low as to be rendered useless. After experimenting with options, I came upon the "Microsoft ADPCM option (instead of the default's PCM (uncompressed) and this one now works perfectly and actually plays better in my other software.

I am curious -- why the drop in volume of PCM uncompressed in Vegas and what's the difference between PCM and ADPCM ; would anyone here know this?
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Paul, I don't use Pro 11 yet but this sounds like a bug to me.
I often render out sections of a .wav file for use elsewhere in a project and would be very upset if the volume level changed on me.
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Fierlinger View Post
what's the difference between PCM and ADPCM ; would anyone here know this?
Sure, PCM is pulse-code modulation, where you just sample the analog sound so many times a second and store the samples at a certain bit depth, typically 8 or 16 (or even 24 for best quality) bits.

ADPCM is adaptive differential pulse-code modulation, where you do the same sampling but instead of storing the samples, you store the difference between the samples. You store the first sample as is, then the difference between the second and the first, then the difference between the third and the second, etc, and you use an algorithm to store fewer bits than the full sample would use. Typically, you repeat the process after so many samples, so you do not have to uncompress the entire file if you want to access whatever is at its end, or at any arbitrary time code position. ADPCM was developed for telephony to allow better quality sound to be transferred at a low bps speed.

The quality of PCM and ADPCM should be exactly the same. The only difference is that PCM is uncompressed, ADPCM is compressed (in computer terms, not in the sense of the sound effect called compression). PCM takes more disk storage but the computer does not have to decompress it (and later recompress it), so less work for the computer. PCM takes less disk storage but the computer has more work to do when processing it.

As for the sound itself, it should be identical with both, providing the original was sampled at the same frequency and to the same bit depth in both cases.

Personally, I always use PCM. Sound waves are tiny compared to video frames, so the storage differential is negligible (IMHO), but it gives Vegas (or any other software) less work to do, so it processes it faster.

The point here is that the volume should be the same. If it is not, there is a problem somewhere. My guess would be you have some new codec for processing PCM, a codec which is probably buggy. Either that, or the headers of your wav files are damaged and give the software some incorrect information.
Adam Stanislav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Major Player

Thank you for your time, Adam; it helps me to understand the system better. So are you saying that the PCM export render in your Vegas 11 doesn't copy the wav file at a much lower volume? Because if that is the case, the problem is certainly elsewhere on my computer, but I couldn't even start guessing where.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #15
Major Player

I see what looks like a DVD Pro 5.2 update to build 135 (http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...vdarchitectpro) (from 133). However, the Release Notes (Sony Creative Software Inc. - DVD Architect Release Notes) don't mention any fixes. Anyone know what's going on there? I haven't downloaded it yet to see if it's really an update.

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...