Importing MP4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old May 7th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Trustee

Importing MP4

I've just tried to put an MP4 file on the timeline. The audio is there but the pictures are not...though there are some 'thumbnails' on the event on the video track. How do I get the pictures?

Last edited by Renton Maclachlan; May 7th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Importing MP4

Typically that means that the source footage has video encoded with an mp4 codec variant that isn't on your system.

Where did this source footage come from, what camera? Sometimes the camera manufacturer distributes a codec, occasionally you have to get a codec from a third party. Beware of "codec packs" that promise compatibility with everything. Frequently these are bad codecs that displace good codecs on your system, occasionally they are bait for spyware.

What cam? Does the footage play with windows media player, or vlc player?
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #3
Trustee

I ripped the footage off a DVD. Perhaps I need to look and see if I can rip to another codec...Thanks...
Old May 8th, 2012, 03:56 AM   #4
Trustee

I'm using ImTOO DVD Ripper Platinum...and have emailed them for advice. In the mean time I've ripped to mpeg2, mpeg4, MOV, and AVI, none of which show the video in the preview screen. Actually...the AVI put up an error message about a codec issue...
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hey Renton

How's things in New Zealand???

Just a suggestion..why not simply import the VOB files into Vegas ??? There is a facility to do this on the file menu!! You can always render it out to whatever you want afterwards.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:57 AM   #6
Inner Circle

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...mport-dvd.html

Works like a charm :)
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Jubal 28

What version of Vegas are you using? Shouldn't have any problems with MP4s after V10 or so.

And yes, MP4 isn't your best bet for video from a DVD . . .
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks Chris. How is NZ? Depends what you're talking about. Some things make me sick. As of March 1st I can no longer do work I've done for 40 years and am highly skilled in - unless I am licensed...The clowns up the top have imposed yet another bureaucratic monstrosity in place to stifle freedom and impose centralised control...

I'm using Vegas 11 so should have no trouble importing anything. All the different file formats/videos open fine in Win Media Player. Don't know why they shouldn't open in Vegas.

Could there be some switch somewhere?
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Trustee

Solved...I must have accidently hit a 'solo' button. I noticed that it wasn't only the newly ripped/imported track I wasn't seeing but all tracks except one...which made me look to see if there was anything different about that track, as all had been going. The exclamation mark had been activated...duh...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...