DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   MXF files???? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/508746-mxf-files.html)

Renton Maclachlan June 23rd, 2012 03:01 AM

MXF files????

I used my new GoPro camera today for the first time...took the files into Vegas Pro 11 and edited them together...then went to render it out. In the render options the only ones that did not grey out the render button were the various Sony MXF options so I saved under that heading as a PAL DV. However when I went to play the rendered file, it said basically nothing would play it and the file format was not recognised etc.

I've never heard of Sony MXF and know nothing about it and wanted to save into AVI or MP4. Why can't I and what do I do? The files from the GoPro say they are MP4 files.

Gerald Webb June 23rd, 2012 03:40 AM

Re: MXF files????

Hey Renton,
MXF plays fine with VLC player ( VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Windows )
but not WMP.
Is your Gopro an old SD model?
If not, You should probably be rendering to 720p MXF (or 1080p, depending on your original frame size) and then compressing for the web or DVD.
MXF is more an intermediate codec rather than delivery for us average people, different if you work for a TV station. they would much rather MXF than MP4. Anyway, I digress......
What do you want to do with your GoPro footage?

Renton Maclachlan June 23rd, 2012 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1739784)
Hey Renton,
MXF plays fine with VLC player ( VideoLAN - Download official VLC media player for Windows )
but not WMP.
Is your Gopro an old SD model?
If not, You should probably be rendering to 720p MXF (or 1080p, depending on your original frame size) and then compressing for the web or DVD.
MXF is more an intermediate codec rather than delivery for us average people, different if you work for a TV station. they would much rather MXF than MP4. Anyway, I digress......
What do you want to do with your GoPro footage?

Thanks Gerald. I'll try that player.

My GoPro is a Hero2 so it's the latest HD one.

What do I want to do with the footage? Good question. The stuff I did today I want to put on facebook...a bit of an excapade at a show called Adrenaline Forest...where you climb around on 30m pine trees on all sorts of scary wire bridges and scoot down long flying foxes into big cushioning bags on other trees...hours of fun and strenuous!!! I used the head harness and got some interesting shots...

But I guess for normal use I just want to put it into some of my productions so will be mixed with AVI from my other cameras.

Why can't I access any of the other file formats to render to? That is what I want to know....

Renton Maclachlan June 23rd, 2012 08:42 PM

Duh...I was trying to render to a category heading, rather than a specific format from a drop down list...smack head!

Chris Harding June 24th, 2012 05:13 AM

Hi Renton

If my GoPro footage is within normal Panasonic MTS files for a wedding I still just render down to MPEG2..for the web I use the Sony AVC template as YouTube likes an MP4 file.

Works fine for me and mixes very nicely with the 1920x1080 25P footage too!!

I thought that people like vimeo also prefer MP4 files.

Chris

Renton Maclachlan June 24th, 2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Harding (Post 1739906)
Hi Renton

If my GoPro footage is within normal Panasonic MTS files for a wedding I still just render down to MPEG2..for the web I use the Sony AVC template as YouTube likes an MP4 file.

Works fine for me and mixes very nicely with the 1920x1080 25P footage too!!

I thought that people like vimeo also prefer MP4 files.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I confess I don't understand all these various rendering options...just use what I have used before.

One question. Do we in PAL land really have to use the PAL setting? I was thinking that in action stuff it may be better to use a higher frame rate...and let Vegas sort it out...which it seems to do. Is my thinking correct?

Chris Harding June 24th, 2012 08:07 PM

Hey Renton

My GoPro is set to PAL so it shoots at 25P not 30P ..the only reason for that is that I usually mix footage with my HMC cameras so I need to keep the frame rate the same. If you are shooting purely for web use and only use the GoPro then I guess you could switch it to NTSC so it shoots at 30P ....I doubt whether you would see any difference. The Hero2 does have other modes for shooting fast action with a double frame rate so that would be 50P for us..however when uploading to YouTube or Vimeo you still would send the video out at 1280x720 25fps in MP4 format (I'm lazy and send mine in SD as it's quicker so mine go to YouTube at 640x 360 I think but still MP4)
The double frame rate is usually only used if you are intending to apply slomo to footage.

For a more comprehensive query on what to use and where, pop a post on the GoPro forum here and you should get a response from Ian on our East Coast who is very knowlegeable and helpful

Chris