DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Processor for editing with Vegas Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/508929-processor-editing-vegas-pro.html)

Stephen Sobel June 30th, 2012 08:37 AM

Processor for editing with Vegas Pro

I'm collecting parts for a new build which I will be done near the end of the year, and am looking at intel processors. I'm intested in advice on Sandy Bridge, Sandy Bridge-E, and Ivy Bridge.

James Kuhn July 2nd, 2012 10:16 AM

Re: Processor for editing with Vegas Pro

Stephen...I would recommend taking a look at Video Guys DIY configurations. They usually break it down by 'Budget', 'Mid-Range', and 'Hot Rod'.

I used their recommendations when I built my current work station. VG build and test their configurations prior to making any recommendations. They pretty much do all the testing and analysis for you and their systems are assembled specifically for video editing.

Regards,

J.

Jeff Harper July 2nd, 2012 10:52 AM

Bottom line on the processor is simply buy the fastest clock speed you can afford. Hyperthreading is nice for rendering, but doesn't improve playback, as I've learned the hard way. You want the highest processor speed you can get for best playback possible.

Stephen Sobel July 2nd, 2012 05:51 PM

Several people on another forum suggested I look at both the Sandy Bridge E 3930 and the Ivy Bridge 3770k. Both of them would be a significant step up from the Core Duo E6700 I currently have. For rendering AVCHD with Vegas Pro, are there significant advantages to the E3930 over the 3770k?

Thanks for the suggestion to check out VideoGuys. I'll do that!

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2012 09:37 AM

I would research the chip myself by finding reviews where they list rendering performance. Google the processor model number/name and read reviews on the tech sites. Then you can decide if the difference in cost is worth it.

Rendering is not going to be an issue with any of the new chips. Everyone is hung up on render speed, but playback is more important to me for efficient editing. The middle or upper middle prices processors are usually the best buys, at a certain point there are diminishing returns, but it all comes down to how much you have to spend.

Randall Leong July 3rd, 2012 10:07 AM

Jeff,

It also depends on how well the NLE handles multithreading. Most "prosumer" NLEs scale very well with more threads; for those, the desktop i5 would be limited by its four-thread maximum. And if an NLE needs more than four threads to properly play back a given video file, the playback of that video clip will be jerky and choppy on an i5 system that lacks Hyperthreading.

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2012 10:43 AM

Randall, it is my understanding that Vegas playback does not benefit from hyperthreading, but I don't know this to be true. Rendering does improve with it, but not playback, or so I've read and been told.

It was told to me it's all in the speed of the processor for Vegas playback.