Project propretore: when blend/none For a DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old July 30th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Trustee

Project propretore: when blend/none For a DVD?

Hallo,

I m converting a file shot in hdv1080 50i to DVD. Setting the properties what should i set on the deinterlace method:blend of none?
In 40 minutes of video there are about 5 min of pictures with pan & crop

Thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Project propretore: when blend/none For a DVD?

Anything except "None" is fine for your purpose. Select either "Blend fields" or "Interpolate fields". Blend field is the most common standard setting.
Marco Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:48 AM   #3
Trustee

When do you use none?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
When do you use none?
None means force progressive chroma and scaling on interlaced footage and is usually not what you want. The only time you might set it to none is when the source is 30psf, the output will be 30psf and everything is wrapped as 60i.

Blend fields will reduce motion stutter in a 60i to 30p conversion at the expense of making things blurry. The only time to use this is when tests indicate interpolate fields has objectionable stutter. Note that stutter is seldom noticable when video is watched on relatively small screens such as computer displays and cell phones. Moreover, if the video is intended for TV delivery then it makes more sense to keep it 60i.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Martell View Post
Hallo,

I m converting a file shot in hdv1080 50i to DVD. Setting the properties what should i set on the deinterlace method:blend of none?
In 40 minutes of video there are about 5 min of pictures with pan & crop

Thx
If you're exporting as standard PAL (which you will be doing for DVD), there's no deinterlacing. It doesn't matter what you set it to; it won't be done.

Now, if you WANT to deinterlace, as in, convert to 25p first, then you'd use Interpolate Fields. But there's no need to do this unless you want the motion of 25p instead of the motion of 50i ("live").
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Internally, Vegas deinterlaces when resizing interlaced footage. Therefore, if you are resizing interlaced footage, you should set a deinterlace method.

The other (rather obvious) situation that a deinterlace method should be used is when you are actually rendering an interlaced project to progressive.

I've made it a habit of always using a deinterlace method when working with interlaced footage as there is no penalty for setting it.

Some people recommend using "interpolate" for fast moving footage. "Blend" for slow moving footage. Frankly, I've seen little difference in the output.

...Jerry
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Jubal 28

"Internally, Vegas deinterlaces when resizing interlaced footage."

I've never heard that it does this -- where is there info about this?

The manual says it deinterlaces to apply FX, but it doesn't say anything about it for resizing.

In any case, Interpolate Fields is better for faster motion because it creates frames out of single fields. Blend Fields takes two fields and (more or less) stitches them together, which can create exaggerated ghosting. This isn't a problem if something isn't moving much, but for a lot of motion, it can create a lot of ghosting and other horrible problems.
Old July 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
"Internally, Vegas deinterlaces when resizing interlaced footage."

I've never heard that it does this -- where is there info about this?
Well, here's one place: Resizing on Render Second post down.

Don't believe it? Run a test. Here I've rendered 1080 60i footage to NTSC WideScreen. First, with Deinterlace=None, next with Deinterlace=Interpolate.

...Jerry

Edit: BTW always set Rendering Quality to "Best" which specifies Bi-Cubic resizing algorithm. See: https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/334
Attached Thumbnails
Project propretore: when blend/none For a DVD?-egret-none.png   Project propretore: when blend/none For a DVD?-egret-interpolate.png  

Last edited by Jerry Amende; July 30th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Jerry Amende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Jubal 28

Just asking. If John Rofrano says so, then I believe him. I had simply never heard of this before. I haven't edited any interlaced footage for probably 9 years or so, so I never had reason to come across it.
Old July 31st, 2012, 02:46 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Amende View Post
Some people recommend using "interpolate" for fast moving footage. "Blend" for slow moving footage. Frankly, I've seen little difference in the output.
Scaling of interlaced source to interlaced output is done using the same interlace aware scaling algorithm when deinterlace mode is set to either blend or interpolate fields. The only difference between blend and interpolate fields is when the source is interlaced and the output is progressive.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

If you scale interlaced footage with deinterlace method set to "none" it will result in visible interlace artifacts. As mentioned above there are very, very rare cases where it makes sense to use "none". Another one (in addition to the one mentioned above) is when you use a 3rd party plug-in for deinterlacing. I'm not aware of any other cases where it would be useful to leave the standard setting of "blend" or "interpolate".
Marco Ba is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...