Disappointing preview performance... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 1st, 2012, 01:01 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Disappointing preview performance...

Hi Renton

Your i7 would eat a 12 minute sequence for a snack..I also feel that the rotated track is the issue!!

Just dump it and see if that's the problem..I have never done a full rotation in Vegas but I also suspect it will eat into processor load!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:17 PM   #17
Major Player

In addition to that rotation, make sure you haven't dropped opacity on any clip by mistake. I've read before that this is a big CPU hog when rendering and it's fairly easy to apply by mistake. Is there a tool to check it? Maybe Edward has one?

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:08 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
Would the fact I had six 2 minute clips on tracks with one of them rotated explain anything?
If you have 6 parallel tracks with AVCHD video in them, then playing 6 AVCHD tracks simultaneously will be slow. In this case, you need to to use proxy or intermediate files. If you have problems with only one or two parallel AVCHD tracks, then check that the correct video driver is installed and properly configured.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:05 AM   #19
Trustee

Ok...I've just done some tests.

I imported my original clips into Cineform and converted them to avi.
I then brought them into Vegas and put three of them on tracks one below the other...tracks 1 (top), 2, (middle) and 3 (bottom).
I then made cuts in 1 and removed the sections so that the 2 would show.
Then made cuts in 1 and 2 so that 3 would show.
First off I left all of clip 3 on the track and all of clip two except the cuts exposing 3..
On playback on 'Good auto' it was jerky.
I then removed all sections of the tacks not showing and played again, and the preview was smooth...UNTIL...I hit parts I hadn't cut and all three clips were still on the tracks, at which point it became jerky again.
I tried switching GPU on and off and there wasn't much difference.
Dynamic RAM was at 3000

It seems at when there are tracks one on top of each other, the play back is not smooth...I doubt this should be so...
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:45 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Hi Renton

That's very strange!! With wedding ceremonies I have my GoPro native footage on the top track (MP4)
Next track down is the AVCHD MTS footage of the cutaway camera again in native format with an audio track (used for sync and then muted)
Next track is again AVCHD MTS with live audio track from the main camera agin in native format and often a second audio track with music below that.

So I have all native footage on at least 3 tracks and often plugins too for colour correction and gamma but no much else. I preview smoothly at full resolution BUT on complex tracks sometimes the resolution will drop down to half BUT it certainly never stutters. Most clips are crossfades which might cause the CPU to work harder but it doesn't show any issues.

My preview screen is set to BEST - FULL (not auto) and preview parameters in Preferences are 1440x900 and output is scaled to fit display and all the 3 boxes under the SONY label are checked

Your dynamic preview looks WAY too high!!! Mine defaults to 350mb and you can even set it right down to zero I believe but certainly not 3000!!!

The first thing to do is drop the dynamic ram to 350 and check your secondary display settings in preferences.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:05 AM   #21
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Vogel View Post
In addition to that rotation, make sure you haven't dropped opacity on any clip by mistake. I've read before that this is a big CPU hog when rendering and it's fairly easy to apply by mistake. Is there a tool to check it? Maybe Edward has one?
Yes there is. It's called Project Inspector and is available on my website. Just install Excalibur and you'll get the free Project Inspector and Auto Save tools as well. See http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur for more details.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:17 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton Maclachlan View Post
the preview was smooth...UNTIL...I hit parts I hadn't cut and all three clips were still on the tracks, at which point it became jerky again.
Do you have antivirus software running?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:25 PM   #23
Major Player

What version are you editing on? I'm on V11 and cant complain about previews, previews play back at Best (Full) realtime with Vegas effects applied. I've noticed that strangly enough if preview is set to eg. Good (Auto) it actually lags, Best (Full) give me the best performance.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Troxel View Post
Yes there is. It's called Project Inspector and is available on my website. Just install Excalibur and you'll get the free Project Inspector and Auto Save tools as well. See http://www.jetdv.com/excalibur for more details.
Yes, I think that was what I was recalling from the deep, dark recesses of my mind. I can't recall what I did yesterday but somehow this tool bubbled up from the synapses!

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...