Getting rid of audio buzz help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 4th, 2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Getting rid of audio buzz help

Using Vegas 10...I'm trying to reduce a buzz in the audio track. I have attached a sample. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Attached Files
File Type: wav BUZZ.wav (1.07 MB, 156 views)
Herm Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Getting rid of audio buzz help

Kinda sounds like a ground loop. 60mhz. Try the 20 band graphic eq, pull the sliders on either side of the closest to 60 and see what that does. Do it at clip level so you can hear it then once you find it, you can set it at track level or the Vegas mixer.
Old August 4th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Herm

That is definately mains hum and it sounds pretty constant too so it should be easy to kill on the audio plugin. As Don says, the GE should pull it out ...Just open the audio track FX and in the equalizer select Low Shelf tab and set the frequency to say 100hz and then take the gain (next slider) right down to about -12db or more .... you might have to take the frequency a tiny bit higher as there could also be harmonics from the 60hz signal that repeat at 120hz so maybe go to 150 to cover it???

The same advice works brilliantly for wind noise too!! I set the frequency to 400hz and it kills 99% of mic wind noise...useful to know

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, the noise produced when different systems are connected together that don't share a common ground. Any stray electricity will seek to ground, commonly called "ground-loop hum". If recognized at the time of recording, it can usually be completely fixed by using an isolation transformer (The Sescom IL-19 is very popular for this), or, using an xlr barrel adapter that lifts the ground.

It's not a simple tone (sine wave) at 60Hz. Meaning, that it has multiple frequencies that are based on the fundamental tone of 60Hz.

So, use the narrowest filter you can, and dip at 60, 120, 180, 240Hz etc. Multiple filters may be required, depending how loud the noise is relative to content.
Old August 7th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Major Player

Herm, I' ve just come across this and as it is a constant even noise it should be quite easy to remove.

There is a freebie sound editing program called "Audacity". Download it & open your track in Audacity & make sure there is some clean noise only, - (like the file you sent). then select a few seconds of the noise only, by dragging the hand from left to right, and under the Effect tab select "noise removal" /get noise profile. Then go back & select the whole track or a sample portion of it to try, and then under the effect tab/noise removal (if needed), drag the slider towards "More" - about 80%, and then click "remove noise"

This should do the trick, but you may need to experiment a bit for optimum results. - ie. The amount of noise removal on the slider, as while it is quite effective it can produce artifacts in the overall sound if you go too far.

Hope this helps,

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #6
Major Player

On thing that WILL take care of your buzz is Izotope RX
iZotope RX - Complete Audio Restoration: Declipping, Declicker, Hum Removal, Denoiser, Spectral Repair, Restore, Remaster, Download
There are two versions - not sure which one you will need for the "Remove Hum" and "Spectral Repair".

This plug is outstanding and I use it all the time to clean up audio from office environments with airconditioning and other background noise.

/m
Old August 7th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Inner Circle

The methods mentioned before will work. Slightly more manual labor will help eliminate the guesswork.

Take a spectrogram (reasonable resolution, such as 2048 pts or more) of preferably at least a second of silence + hum. If you have a low frequency hum, look for a peak at 60 Hz (50 Hz in countries with that A/C frequency) and multiples of that : 120, 180, 240 300 Hz. Use a Notch or a parametric filter set to 60 Hz with a very high Q (20 or higher) (Q is sometimes expressed as Bandwidth, so specify a very small bandwidth) and BOOST by 10 dB. If the hum is twice as loud, you have identified the correct frequency. Then, cut by 10-20 dB or more. Repeat procedure for 120, 180 , etc. Hz, though the amount of cut will be less. Judge by the spectrogram.

If you don't have a spectrogram, you can hunt for the frequency with a boosting parametric filter. Just boost by 20 dB and a lower Q/high bandwidth and sweep it around in frequency. This is a hunt or miss procedure and much harder than using a spectrogram. When you find the offender, raise the Q/lower the bandwidth to avoid affecting adjacent frequencies. Finally, replace the boost with a cut.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
Herm, I' ve just come across this and as it is a constant even noise it should be quite easy to remove.

There is a freebie sound editing program called "Audacity". Download it & open your track in Audacity & make sure there is some clean noise only, - (like the file you sent). then select a few seconds of the noise only, by dragging the hand from left to right, and under the Effect tab select "noise removal" /get noise profile. Then go back & select the whole track or a sample portion of it to try, and then under the effect tab/noise removal (if needed), drag the slider towards "More" - about 80%, and then click "remove noise"

This should do the trick, but you may need to experiment a bit for optimum results. - ie. The amount of noise removal on the slider, as while it is quite effective it can produce artifacts in the overall sound if you go too far.

Hope this helps,

RonC.
Ron and others,

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I played around in Vegas and couldn't get it sounding the way I wanted, so I downloaded "Audacity" and that did the trick!

Regards,

Herm
Herm Stork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for letting me know Herm. Yes, Audacity is a little gem.
One thing, - can you please tell me how to do the "Quote" in replying in this forum. I have never been able to work out how you do it !!

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #10
Sponsor: JET DV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Cooper View Post
Thanks for letting me know Herm. Yes, Audacity is a little gem.
One thing, - can you please tell me how to do the "Quote" in replying in this forum. I have never been able to work out how you do it !!

RonC.
If you're quoting the "last" post, you have to click on the "Multi-Quote" button and then reply. The multi-quote button is the farthest one to the right beside the "reply" button.

If you're quoting older posts, you can just click on the "Quote" button.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #11
Major Player

Many thanks Edward. I'll know next time. - Sorry for the late reply - I went skiing last week.

RonC.
Ron Cooper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...