DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   HELP!!! Vegas won't open my master project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/510048-help-vegas-wont-open-my-master-project.html)

Jerry Neal August 16th, 2012 05:50 PM

HELP!!! Vegas won't open my master project

Hello,

I spent about 10 hours yesterday working on a project. Today, when I went to open this project, I got the following error:

"The file is most likely corrupted or of an unknown format."

I tried renaming the .bak file but still could not open my project.

I've never had this happen to me before. The only thing I did differently was load a trial version of Magic Bullet, which I used for the first time yesterday. Could this be what's causing the error message? And if so, how do I get around this and open my project?

Thanks,

Jerry

Chris Barcellos August 16th, 2012 06:24 PM

Re: HELP!!! Vegas won't open my master project

For this very reason I will save several backups with different names as a day progresses. It just seems safe.

First, make a copy of the .veg file under another name just for safe keeping. Try to open that, and see if it is some kind of naming issue.

Then I would uninstall Magic Bullet, and try again. If that doesn't work, then check out your Windows back up and revert the system back to backup prior to the installation of Magic Bullet. Try opening again.

If that doesn't work try uninstalling Vegas, then reinstalling it.

D.J. Ammons August 16th, 2012 09:23 PM

My partner recently had the exact same thing happen with a Vegas Pro 11 project. We never were able to get it to work.

We are now going to start making two copies of each project also with the second one even being on a different hard drive.

Allan Black August 17th, 2012 02:30 AM

I write, direct and shoot our stuff and now have another team to edit. One of the first things I told 'em exactly what Chris and DJ say ..
'save a copy under another name on a different hard drive'.

It's gotta become second nature, comes under 'housekeeping'

Cheers.

Edward Troxel August 17th, 2012 08:23 AM

Won't help for the past but for future reference, if you install Excalibur you can turn on Auto Save which will save your project every "x" minutes under a new file name so you have a series of backup files.

Jerry Neal August 17th, 2012 09:07 AM

I guess this is a lesson learned the hard way. However, this makes me a bit leary to purchase Magic Bullet, as this was just the "trial" version I was using. I don't know for certain that's what caused this problem, but I've never had this happen to me before.

To clarify, when I save my project file to another hard drive, I just need to "save as" under a different name. I do not need to copy the source clips, correct? Obviously, I already have all my clips saved on a second, back-up drive, but I assume I don't need to keep saving the media multiple times when I'm re-saving the project, correct? This would start to fill up hard drives very quickly...

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I'm just bummed that someone doesn't have a "quick-fix" for me to recover my work. ;)

Buba Kastorski August 17th, 2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Neal (Post 1748864)
To clarify, when I save my project file to another hard drive, I just need to "save as" under a different name. I do not need to copy the source clips, correct?

no you don't need to copy source files, project file will reference current files location, and as long as the file will be saved in different folder/drive you can have the same project name;
if the error happened on Vegas 10 try to download eval of 11 and open it, but if you make it work you'll need to finish your editing within the trial period, or buy ver.11,
best

Chris Barcellos August 17th, 2012 10:24 AM

Buba is correct. No matter where you save the project file, it refers to the primary file locationa as far as looking for your project media files as you continue your edit.

Dennis Vogel August 21st, 2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Neal (Post 1748774)
Hello,

The only thing I did differently was load a trial version of Magic Bullet, which I used for the first time yesterday. Could this be what's causing the error message? And if so, how do I get around this and open my project?

Jerry,

Did you by any chance get the problem after installing the MB update mentioned here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...ta-update.html.

D

Jerry Neal August 21st, 2012 02:56 PM

No, this was caused after I downloaded the "trial" version of Magic Bullet Looks 2.0. I'm not sure this is what caused the problem, but I've never had a problem like this, before I loaded this software.

Dennis Vogel August 21st, 2012 03:18 PM

OK, good to know.

D