HELP!!! Vegas won't open my master project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old August 16th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HELP!!! Vegas won't open my master project

Hello,

I spent about 10 hours yesterday working on a project. Today, when I went to open this project, I got the following error:

"The file is most likely corrupted or of an unknown format."

I tried renaming the .bak file but still could not open my project.

I've never had this happen to me before. The only thing I did differently was load a trial version of Magic Bullet, which I used for the first time yesterday. Could this be what's causing the error message? And if so, how do I get around this and open my project?

Thanks,

Jerry
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: HELP!!! Vegas won't open my master project

For this very reason I will save several backups with different names as a day progresses. It just seems safe.

First, make a copy of the .veg file under another name just for safe keeping. Try to open that, and see if it is some kind of naming issue.

Then I would uninstall Magic Bullet, and try again. If that doesn't work, then check out your Windows back up and revert the system back to backup prior to the installation of Magic Bullet. Try opening again.

If that doesn't work try uninstalling Vegas, then reinstalling it.
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Major Player

My partner recently had the exact same thing happen with a Vegas Pro 11 project. We never were able to get it to work.

We are now going to start making two copies of each project also with the second one even being on a different hard drive.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I write, direct and shoot our stuff and now have another team to edit. One of the first things I told 'em exactly what Chris and DJ say ..
'save a copy under another name on a different hard drive'.

It's gotta become second nature, comes under 'housekeeping'

Cheers.
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Won't help for the past but for future reference, if you install Excalibur you can turn on Auto Save which will save your project every "x" minutes under a new file name so you have a series of backup files.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I guess this is a lesson learned the hard way. However, this makes me a bit leary to purchase Magic Bullet, as this was just the "trial" version I was using. I don't know for certain that's what caused this problem, but I've never had this happen to me before.

To clarify, when I save my project file to another hard drive, I just need to "save as" under a different name. I do not need to copy the source clips, correct? Obviously, I already have all my clips saved on a second, back-up drive, but I assume I don't need to keep saving the media multiple times when I'm re-saving the project, correct? This would start to fill up hard drives very quickly...

Thanks again for everyone's feedback. I'm just bummed that someone doesn't have a "quick-fix" for me to recover my work. ;)
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Neal View Post
To clarify, when I save my project file to another hard drive, I just need to "save as" under a different name. I do not need to copy the source clips, correct?
no you don't need to copy source files, project file will reference current files location, and as long as the file will be saved in different folder/drive you can have the same project name;
if the error happened on Vegas 10 try to download eval of 11 and open it, but if you make it work you'll need to finish your editing within the trial period, or buy ver.11,
best
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Buba is correct. No matter where you save the project file, it refers to the primary file locationa as far as looking for your project media files as you continue your edit.
Old August 21st, 2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Neal View Post
Hello,

The only thing I did differently was load a trial version of Magic Bullet, which I used for the first time yesterday. Could this be what's causing the error message? And if so, how do I get around this and open my project?
Jerry,

Did you by any chance get the problem after installing the MB update mentioned here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...ta-update.html.

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

No, this was caused after I downloaded the "trial" version of Magic Bullet Looks 2.0. I'm not sure this is what caused the problem, but I've never had a problem like this, before I loaded this software.
Old August 21st, 2012, 03:18 PM   #11
Major Player

OK, good to know.

D
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...