DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Pro 12 Coming Soon (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/510533-vegas-pro-12-coming-soon.html)

Mike Kujbida September 7th, 2012 02:53 PM

Vegas Pro 12 Coming Soon

This is one impressive looking release.
Lets hope they get it right the first time.

https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro12cs

Jeff Harper September 7th, 2012 03:28 PM

Re: Vegas Pro 12 Coming Soon

In my memory, only version 7 seemed pretty close to "right" the first time. After that it's been rough ever since.

Jeff Harper September 7th, 2012 03:54 PM

Smart proxy seems nice, but I will still complain about it. Edius does not need to create proxies and has amazing timeline performance with original files. Why can't Vegas? This irritates the heck out of me.

Gerald Webb September 7th, 2012 04:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If this thing isn't a bug-fest it will be amazing.
When is Fall? Same as our Aussie Spring?

Leslie Wand September 7th, 2012 04:50 PM

what about fixing 11 first!?

Chris Barcellos September 7th, 2012 05:24 PM

You know, I have been using Vegas since Vegas 7, and I have never had any horrible experiences with it. I keep hearing horror stories from the same few people, and I think it really has to do with an out of ordinary hardware configuration. I am running a pretty basic Dell machine, and have two external esata drive, one USB 3 drive and 2 USB 2 drives, along with two internal esata connected, and I just get pretty good results working from anywhere.

Now about 12. I have been lucky enough to beta test 12, and I find some interesting features. I hope I don't get bounced as a future tester by reporting this, but the feature advertized as Color Match seems to be pretty cool. In experimenting with it, I went to a page that had some stills from the Godfather, captured one of them, and brought it into the Color Match program, and assigned that picture to be color matched, and low and behold, my clip had a Godfather look about it. It was actually quite interesting and with a little more testing may be a viable tool to start the grading process.

This film is one I did with Vegas 12 and my VG20 for the DVChallenge here at DVInfo:

Jack Zhang September 7th, 2012 06:02 PM

Vegas' biggest weakness is with non-native codecs.

The "internet crowd" usually has tons of Vegas horror stories because of that, combined with using too many render threads and incorrect dynamic RAM settings.

On the other hand, ProRes projects are a nightmare in Vegas too. Black frames EVERYWHERE.

My only gripe with recent versions of Vegas are that it doesn't support XDCAM EX folders with spanned clips without crashing, and working in AVC then adding MXF to the project will instantly cause a crash under certain circumstances.

I like that starting in version 10 that it natively supports XDCAM EX MP4s, but this can cause uneducated people to only copy those files and lose the contents of the BPAV folder. (that's also true of P2, I guess)

Garrett Low September 7th, 2012 06:19 PM

Does this mean that I will be able to finally edit in Vegas and then be able to pull it into FCP, Premier, or After Affects?

Al Bergstein September 7th, 2012 07:01 PM

I'm on the beta, and all I will say is that it's not ready for release as of today.

Edward Troxel September 8th, 2012 08:14 AM

To Beta testers - remember your NDA...

Gerald Webb September 8th, 2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leslie Wand (Post 1751915)
what about fixing 11 first!?

A sign of our throw away society.... Throw it away and get a new one.
After vers 11 came out I dont think they fixed anything in 10 did they?
Did you ever give Premiere a go Leslie? What was the change-over like, if made ?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1751929)

On the other hand, ProRes projects are a nightmare in Vegas too. Black frames EVERYWHERE.

Jack, I haven't seen this. I have dragged in a few ProRes files some up to 90 min in length and never had any black frames. Just a thought, we have always rendered to Prores 422 HQ 10bit to avoid the Mac-Windows gamma shift. See post 6 of this thread-
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform...-vs-dnxhd.html
I dont know if your black frames may be attributed to this or not, but I haven't seen them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Low (Post 1751932)
Does this mean that I will be able to finally edit in Vegas and then be able to pull it into FCP, Premier, or After Affects?

According to the trailer, Yes we can! For me this is absolute gold. Thank you Sony

Matthew Amirkhani September 8th, 2012 05:43 PM

I wished I could install Vegas 12 on iMac.Adobe has introduced the new Premiere Pro for iMac.

Leslie Wand September 8th, 2012 05:50 PM

hi gerald,

well i have cs6 pb on my edit pc. love the new ps, but after a couple of bouts with ppro i really think if i'm going to have to learn a new nle it'd be more likely edius, which, from both reports and a little hands on, looks to be everything a nle should be in terms of playback and reliability, though it too is rather clunky and old fashioned in it's ui.

i'll wait to see what's said about 12 when it's released, try to forget the disaster that was 11, but i think, unless scs gets it right straight off with 12, they've lost a once loyal customer....

Mike Kujbida September 8th, 2012 09:42 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed too.
It seems like the odd numbered releases have been "somewhat " problematic (i.e. Pro 9 and 11) while the even numbered ones (Pro 8 and 10) always worked great for me.

Chris Barcellos September 8th, 2012 09:49 PM

Could always go to Lightworks. I've played with that one a bit, but its seems to based on old style editing processes where you physically hung up chunks of the film in bin in your edit room. Terminology seems to be related to that level of thinking.... a place where many modern editors have never been.

I invested in CS5 last year, thinking I am going to need it at some point, but Vegas keeps doing whatever I need.