Can anyone tell me how this guy did this transition? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 8th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Can anyone tell me how this guy did this transition?

Go to about 8:01 in the video. The transition occurs when the clip is split of the clip of the womans white top & transitions into a boy running into the ocean. I just love this technique & wondering if it can be down in Vegas & if so, how? Thanks if you can explain!

Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Can anyone tell me how this guy did this transition?

Looks like a fairly simple mask
Old September 8th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Trustee

as Chris said, it is just a mask.
Put the clip of the girl in white shirt on track one,
Go into pan crop, select the mask tool and draw a mask along her back to remove whats to the left of her back,
Put your next clip on track 2, and roughly line up your In point to where you want track one's Out point.
Go into Track Motion of Track 1 and key frame the girls track to move to the right until gone. It works well here because the track motion just increases the camera pan.
Fine tune and you are done.
Hint, use a bit of Feather on your Mask to make it look more natural.
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Guys

I expected something awesome...really, to me it just looks like a push right transition ..using two tracks would you actually even need a mask?? Surely just bring in the boy on the top track at the right time and push the girl out of the way on the bottom??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Sorry if what impresses me disappoints you. I hope I can duplicate the effect with your suggestions.

Remember, everyone is at different skill levels within the editing community.

Thanks again....
Old September 8th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #6
Trustee

Chris, You would need a mask to make it a bit more than a simple "Push". See pic-

Jeff, Always ask questions :) I for one can remember a very short time ago that it was me asking the sometimes simple questions and all the good people here helped me no end.
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone tell me how this guy did this transition?-girl-back.jpg  
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:30 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Jeff. Not trying to knock your experience level. You can go to youtube and look for vegas tutorial on masking and get a lot of ideas on how to do it. Nice thing about Vegas is there about 10 ways to do everything.
Old September 9th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Chris, I use Vegas Studio Platinum 9. When I looked in the pan crop, I did not see the tools I think I need to select mask but then again I did not looked at the tutorials. I edited this post, then watched a few video tutorials. It appears on my version I cannot mask like the pro version but I did play with PIP & got some fun effects I could use later. Maybe I cannot do the effect I wanted on this post? Regardless, Youtube is amazing. Thank goodness others are willing to help on forums & in places like youtube.

I am planning on retiring soon & move overseas. Once I do that, I will be getting a new PC with the intention of the PC being set up for video editing. I plan to shoot stills & video a lot more then. Maybe I should consider Vegas Pro 12 before going? Until now, I just have not exceeded the limits of the Vegas I got thus no motivation to speed more money.My other concern is the learning curve of pro compared to my version.

Last edited by Jeff Wisener; September 9th, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old September 9th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Actually, the nice thing about Pro is it works exactly same as Platinum, except it has a lot more bells and whistles, like what you are looking for in this case.

I would say check out the upgrade sections at Sony, or look for deals with a dealer.

Sometimes near the close of a version life ( like right now for Vegas 11) you find good deals. In years past the slip sleeve version have been great entry levels for Vegas, though I haven't seen it lately.

Sony Creative Software - Online Store - Upgrade to Vegas Pro 11 from Vegas Movie Studio
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #10
Inner Circle

the easy way is to freeze the last picture of the first sequence (export as image).
then edit the picture to get a solid color (or better, transparent with TGA format ) in the part you want to insert the second clip.
you import the edited picture , make a push transition, this will automatically discover the 2nd clip.
if your transition is long and tis too obvious that the picture has been frozen, you can do the same , but this time you use the picture as a mask.
and if the mask must be dynamic too, use the clip as a mask (working on a copy of the clip, reducing number of colors (no dithering) and playing with contrast and brightness to get as mask.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 12:49 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Actually, I was impressed, it's a very cool looking transition to me. The editor chose two shots that worked well for it, two shots that had panning to the left, and it was really well done. It looked simpler than it was, I think.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Jeff - it is cool. The trouble is it's cool because it's new to you, and maybe less so to us. However I love effects when they are done appropriately, like this one - so I think it's cool too. It's a bit like when you learn to play an instrument. You suddenly find just the right way to do it and think it's broil - then find out every one of your mates already does it!

Don't worry. The effect works, and that is the entire point!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2012, 04:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

^^^ Paul, I agree. Too often I see people edit things & it is more about showing off editing tricks then the experience of the viewer (my opinion of course). For the most part, tricky editing tricks can distract from the story & at the end of the day, most videos that have impact have a story to tell & are told well.
Jeff Wisener is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...