How to make Bluray from progressive files at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Major Player

How to make Bluray from progressive files

I need to make a BluRay in pal (DVD Architect) from renders in Vegas 11 64bit. The footage was shot in 50p 1920x1080 and rendered at the same resolution at 25 fps progressive. However, DVD Architect wants to recompress the video files and doesn't give me the option of 25P, just 25 interlaced.
I don't want any recompression and would prefer not to have to rerender it all agin.
Hope someone has a suggestion. I'll hold on further work till a few people have seen this post.
Chris Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: How to make Bluray from progressive files

60p, and I believe 50p, are not supported with the bluray standard, so you must either let DVDA recompress, or render out to something different that is in compliance with Bluray.

For the future, you might want to investigate other options before you shoot if you want to avoid recompression.

For example, in the states we can choose 720 60p, 1080 24p, and 1080 60i, as they are all supported by bluray.

I'm no expert, this is just my take. I shoot exclusively in 1080 24p because it is the only progressive option on my camera supported by bluray.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Jeff, that makes sense. One more question...if I render to 25P down from 50P, is that likely to introduce motion artefacts. It's the reason I don't shoot at 25P...excuse my ignorance but I'm in the dark a bit here.
Old September 10th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't know, but I suspect if Bluray recompresses it will be fine. You might as well try it, it will only cost one disc to find out. Rendering to 25p might be the better option, I wish I knew, I don't know enough to advise you on these specifics. If I were you I'd be here asking the same question.

Someone who knows should pop up here soon and tell you.

I have found shooting in 24p has taken some getting used to, but is NOT difficult at all, and it looks great, depending on the situation. For fast motion scenes, not so great, of course, but who cares? For wedding work it is outstanding. The ceremony, the first dance, it all looks great. Bouquet and garter might not be perfectly smooth, but again, who cares?

Try letting DVDA add interlacing and see what happens just for the heck of it, I'd be curious to know how it turned out.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I edit 25P (dslr mov) and 50p (28mbs avchd) in a 50 I timeline in Edius 6.5, then render it out to a hqavi file and import that in tmgenc authoringworks, there I also set the imported file as interlaced and when I make a blu-ray out of that I don't have any artifacts, works out fine for me.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Major Player

Stupid me, I had rendered to 1920 x 1980P from the original 720P camera files before this first post. Having now rerendered to the same original resolution, DVD Architect is able to make a BluRay iso image without the need to recompress and to keep at 50fps. I didn't think Architect could do that but I'm burning the disc now and all is ok. So what I have is a BluRay at 1280 x 720P at 50fps.

Just checked it....plays fine! Thanks everyone. Another problem solved.
Old September 10th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #7
Inner Circle

720p is awesome, I prefer it for some things way over 1080, the motion is so smooth and looks so good.

Congrats.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...