Editing Time Lapses using Photos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 10th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing Time Lapses using Photos

Hello,

I'm attempting to edit my first time lapse composed of JPEGs I shot with my DSLR. When I import these "stills" into Vegas, do I need to adjust the size (length) of each photo for the best results? If so, is there a way to do this without doing each one separately? Also, is there a way to insert the velocity band across the entire track? Just curious how to pull this off...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Jerry Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Editing Time Lapses using Photos

Go to 'Options' and 'Preferences'. You should see a number of tabs on the box that has opened - click on 'Editing' and there's and options about half way down for 'New Still Image Length'. If you change from the default five seconds to 0.02 seconds each still image will be one frame duration, or any other length you specify.

Once you've applied the changes I seem to remember you have to re-import the files to Vegas or they will remain as the default duration.

Hope that helps.
Matt Bigwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Jerry, if you want each image to only be one frame long, the easiest way to do this is to import them as a still image sequence.
Make sure all of them are in the same folder and are sequentially numbered.
File - Import - Media, browse to the folder where the images are, click on the first one in the sequence, click Open still image sequence (see attached screenshot) at the bottom of this window, click Open, make any necessary adjustments in the tab that comes up and click OK.
The sequence will now be sitting in your Project Media waiting to be added to the timeline.

Since these are coming from your DSLR, they're probably pretty large in size (i.e. pixels).
You may want to re-size them closer to project size so that you don't put much of a strain on your CPU during rendering.
IrfanView (it's free) has an an excellent and fast batch re-sizing option.
IrfanView

To answer your other question, a velocity envelope can only be applied to individual events, not the entire track :(
Attached Thumbnails
Editing Time Lapses using Photos-image_sequence.png  
Mike Kujbida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #4
Regular Crew

i've done this effectively by setting the duration of each image in the properties as mentioned earlier. however, if the other techniques don't work or if you want to tweak it, you can use the following technique to quickly change the playback rate of the images already on the timeline: first, select all the images in the sequence; then, create a group with those images (just press "G"); finally, press CTRL while dragging the edge of the group to compress the playback rate. you'll see squiggly/sawtooth line indicating the time is compressed. note that the CTRL-drag only works on a single object so you have to create a group with the images so that they are a single object. you can ungroup them when you're done. note that you can only compress the object to 1/4 or so of the original time.

i did this to create a time lapse of a huge snowstorm in chicago in 2011...

good luck!
bobD
Roberto Diaz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...