Transition at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 26th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Trustee

Transition

I'm wanting to do some transitions as a background to some green screen shots so as to give some subtle movement and change in the background.

So...I have 2 'cloud' scenes with 'clouds in different places. If I do a linear fade from one to the other over say 10 minutes, at the middle, the opacity of one is down half, while the other is up half, meaning there is a general lowering from full opacity at one end to the middle, and then a raising from half to full opacity from the middle to the end...with corresponding lightening at the middle. If I change colour from one end to the other a similar thing happens. Having two tracks at half opacity doesn't seem to add up to full opacity...though I guess it should...seeing the clouds are at different places, the clouds from each track are at half Opacity.

I would like to do the transition without this lowering then raising of opacity (although perhaps it could be part of the subtle movement and change).

Is there anyway to do this?
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Transition

Sorry this isn't actually addressing your specific request, but have you considered using the Vegas Noise media generator (one of the cloud presets) and slowly adjusting the offset x value over time for some reasonably realistic moving cloud effects. Personally I think they are move effective if you set the background colour to transparent and lay it over the top of a still of a sky with some distant clouds, for added depth.
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #3
Major Player

Put the videos on 2 separate tracks, and fade out the video on the upper track, revealing the lower track
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shohet View Post
Put the videos on 2 separate tracks, and fade out the video on the upper track, revealing the lower track
Of course!! Thanks so much. Exactly what I needed. Appreciated.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Sure, glad I could help :)
Jon Shohet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Trustee

Once your videos are on two tracks, you could also play around with the different composite modes to see if you can improve the effect - eg you night be able to have the just the white clouds (and not the blue sky) of the 2nd track creep in at first, so that the clouds mix together more subtly without having a blue tint over them from the patrially transparent blue sky.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
Once your videos are on two tracks, you could also play around with the different composite modes to see if you can improve the effect - eg you night be able to have the just the white clouds (and not the blue sky) of the 2nd track creep in at first, so that the clouds mix together more subtly without having a blue tint over them from the patrially transparent blue sky.
When I refer to 'clouds' they're not 'clouds in the sky' but a Photoshop generated cloud background as per Create A Portrait Studio Background - Photoshop Tutorial

I'm putting a gradient across it so I can have it light at the left hand side for illustrations I'm going to use...and then I put a colour gradient across it to add zing to it...well something more than grey anyway...see below. I will be in front of the coloured area. Both the clouds and the colour will change over perhaps 10>15 mins, and with some of the sessions which are longer ... 15>25 mins...I may put another cloud and colour at the midway point.
Attached Thumbnails
Transition-1-clouds-red-gradient-rotated-copy.jpg  
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...