Nested projects lose interlacing (i.e., become detinterlaced) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Tourist

Nested projects lose interlacing (i.e., become detinterlaced)

I recently helped someone who thought Vegas Pro was losing interlacing when using nested VEG files on the timeline.

Unfortunately, he was correct.

There is no problem with Vegas 8 and before. However, both Vegas 10.0e and Vegas 11 have the problem (I have not yet tested the build that was released a few days ago).

What follows is what I sent to Sony Tech support a week ago. It has been taking around 6-8 weeks to get a reply, and when the reply comes, it is useless, and they never fix the bug, so I thought I'd post here so that everyone knows about the problem. Here is a part of what I wrote to Sony tech support:

This has been confirmed by others in the [Sony] forum ("JerryK").

1. Put an interlaced AVCHD file on the timeline and match project properties. Save that project.

2. Put the VEG file from that project onto the timeline of a new project. Render to SD MPEG-2 using one of the DVD Architect templates.

3. Check the field order of the MPEG-2 file. You will find that it is now a progressive file, and that there is no temporal difference between the fields. In other words, the video has been deinterlaced.

I have tested this using "None," "Blend," and "Interpolate" for the project properties on the source project (i.e., the one that is then used for nesting) and it doesn't make a difference. I have tested this in Vegas 10.0e and the bug also happens there.

However, when I do this test in Vegas 8.0c, it works properly.

So, I will no longer use nested files on the timeline except in Vegas 8 and earlier (I still use Vegas 7&8 for most of my work, and only use Vegas 10 for Elastique, for viewing MP4 files, and for transcoding to other formats so I can edit in Vegas 7&8). Vegas 11 is totally broken, and Vegas 10.0e has too many bugs to be useful for me. We'll see what the new Vegas 12 is like ...
John Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #2
Old Boot

Re: Nested projects lose interlacing (i.e., become detinterlaced)

Could it be that "bug" is restricted to AVCHD? I'm using my Canon XF300 HDV footage, 1440x1080i UFF MPEG.

Using HDV, and wanting to reassure myself, I followed the testing. Phew! I don't get this change to deinterlace. I've checked the MPEG through G-Spot and MediaInfo and of course VP11 (B683) and they all say interlace.

I went a stage further and forced UPPER to LOWER field for the MPEG and they all came back LOWER, and again the resultant MPEG came back correctly switched to LOWER.

Cheers

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 01:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Nested projects lose interlacing (i.e., become detinterlaced)

"I have tested this using "None," "Blend," and "Interpolate" for the project properties on the source project"

And how was the deinterlace method in project properties set in the project you used for rendering?
Marco Ba is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...