Where do you think is the bottleneck? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old September 27th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Major Player

Where do you think is the bottleneck?

Hello,
I'm not a pro so I'm still using Vegas 7 on a machine I built back in 2007 conformed to the then specification of the videoguys. I have the recommended MoBo of that time, a Asus P5W DH de luxe, a quad core intel Q6700, and 4 gig of very good corsair ram on XP pro.

When I play HDV footage out of my canon XH A1 it's only smooth and playing normally when I play it in Preview. It's very jerky when I use GOOD, even in the half mode and forget about BEST.

Same when I play the same footage in the NEO HDV Cineform codec. I just installed a very fast drive from which I play all my clip, a WEWD2002FAEX - Western Digital 2TB WD2002FAEX Caviar Black SATA Hard Drive. Reading from that drive doesn't improve anything. Still jerky other than when playing in PREVIEW MODE.

So, where's the bottle neck?

Should I call it a computer and built an I7 based machine in 64bits with Vegas 12?
Short of building a new machine, what would you do to be able to play on GOOD MODE without being jerky?
Thanks
Larry
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Where do you think is the bottleneck?

Probably your processor is the issue. Short of a new processor, not much you can do. Your Caviar black drive, by the way, is not a "very fast drive", but is a nice, but average drive. I have four of them, they are great, but not "fast" so to speak, but I doubt your drive is the issue anyway.

Your machine is just outdated, that's all, for HD playback in Vegas at higher quality settings. Vegas playback is dependent on the processor mainly.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Ok, yes, I agree, it's not as fast as SSD, but so much faster than the drive I have.
I guess you're right, my machine is outdated.
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Inner Circle

There are 10K rpm drives and 15K SAS drives which I also have, then the SSD drives, so there is room between the 7200 rpm drive you have and the fastest SSD drive.

At those speeds it just doesn't matter after a certain point. Same holds true with your 7200 rpm drive, for ordinary useage, it should be fine. When I purchased my first two Caviar Black 1TB drives what seems like many years ago, I was very happy with them, they are great drives, well built.

If you're drive is full, or even close to half full, it can affect your performance also, so make sure your video is located on a dedicated drive for video storage, not on one that is cluttered with a lot of other stuff.

You can also use proxies to improve playback, which Vegas 12 offers. You could get by without a new machine if the proxy feature of Vegas 12 is useable. I just don't know enough about it yet to recommend it.
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Do you think a 15000 rpm drive would do the trick?
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Inner Circle

No, I think you need to upgrade, or go with Vegas 12 and try the built in proxy feature. The 15k drives are overkill, and require a special controller. I shouldn't have mentioned all of the drives, that was a distraction from what you probably need to focus on.

If you upgrade your PC, you might pick up a Velociraptor 10K just for kicks, but your present Caviar Black drive, as long as it's not your OS drive as well, should be fine.
Old September 27th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Do you think Vegas 12 could be run on the processor I have? I think Vegas won't even run on Windows XP 32 bit.
argh, I'm going to have to upgrade but for what, to just be able to actually play the clips in the BEST MODE instead of preview?
Old September 27th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

No, you're right, you probably should upgrade your hardware first. I feel your pain. I just upgraded my processor and mobo and ram at great expense, very expensive to do.
Old September 28th, 2012, 06:56 AM   #9
Inner Circle

You should be able to upgrade you motherboard, processor and memory to an Intel i7 for about $800 if you do it yourself. A little bit more if you get a PC shop to do it for you. My local PC shop has i7 3770 for $380, Gigabyte motherboard for $160 and 16G of DDR3 RAM for $80. Did a similar upgrade myself last year from a similar machine to yours. You will see a big increase in performance even keeping all the rest of your system the same.

Ron
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
Do you think Vegas 12 could be run on the processor I have? I think Vegas won't even run on Windows XP 32 bit.
argh, I'm going to have to upgrade but for what, to just be able to actually play the clips in the BEST MODE instead of preview?
1. The Q6700 is a 64 bit processor, so Vegas 12 will run on it. I have been running Windows7x64 and Vegas 11 64 bit for some time on an Intel Q6600 + Radeon HD 6670 Video card. Fully functional, but load up a 4 multicam AVCHD shoot in multicam mode and the the preview update rate is under 2 frames / second.

2. Going to Vegas 12, running on a 32 bit OS is not on the option list as Vegas 12 is ONLY a 64 bit app and therefore has to run on a 64 bit OS. If it makes you feel any better, or worse, Adobe made this transition when they released CS 5.

I recently went from an Intel 2.4 GHz Q6600 + Radeon HD 6670 Video card to an Intel 3.5 Ghz 3770K + Radeon HD 7700 based system, so I know whereof I speak...Remember to also pick an up to date GPU card for decode/rendering accelleration. Besides getting an excellent preview experience, I also get *significantly* shorter render times.

If you had asked this question a month ago I would have suggested going to Vegas 11 (supports GPU accelleration) and getting a current GPU for that GPU accelleration. As it is the bare minimum you can get by with now is (a) Install a current GPU (b) Upgrade the OS to 64 bit (c) Get the current Vegas 12.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...