DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   FX and Compositing Mode (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511032-fx-compositing-mode.html)

Renton Maclachlan September 28th, 2012 04:18 PM

FX and Compositing Mode

Two things:

1. Another question re my green screening:

I am using Boris RED as my chroma keyer...it is excellent...as a plugin in Vegas.

I was experimenting with it and started RED through the Track FX. I found that when I did this, playback would stutter when the fx was enabled but would be smooth when it was disabled...something I like because I can switch it on and off at will to check things in real time (even though I have a fast computer the GS'ing slows it down).

However last night I watched aRED chroma key tutorial online and the guy in a very helpful video, started RED through the Compositing mode...so I followed his example and experimented with doing the CK that way...and actually I prefer at this method at this stage...

However...I then noticed that the playback was stuttering real bad, so switched off the FX as I had done before and it made no difference. The only way I could get the playback to run smooth was to mute all the CK'd tracks. Does this mean that an fx applied through composite mode is interacting with the material via another route and independant of FX? Can the 'composite' be turned off as the fx can?

2. For some reason...I know not what...one of my tracks has had some track motion applied to it so that the screen image rotates in 3D and gets smaller...so it is surrounded by black and at 'an angle' to how it should present. This is not supposed to be and clearly it is at the track level, and with keyframes, because all the events on the timeline are affected progressively over the length of the time line and even though the events are separated down the timeline. I can't for the life of me see where this track motion is coming from (it is not supposed to be there and I don't know how it got there) so as to turn it off/get rid of it. What could be causing this?

EDIT UPDATE 1: Re 2 - for some reason this track motion effect had come from RED via the compositing mode. Removed the composition in RED and the effect went away. However in Vegas, in the track box (far left), those tracks that have fx or compositing occurring on them have a little diamond mark with a down arrow alongside it. When this down arrow is hit, it shows what fx and compositing is on the track. Can the compositing be removed? I Have deleted the composition in RED but this down arrow tells me RED compositing is on the track. I don't want it to be.

EDIT UPDATE 2: Can the compositing be removed? Of course, by removing it from the fx chain...duh...

At this rate I will have answered all my own questions...:-)