DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   24p dvd (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511058-24p-dvd.html)

Bill LiPera September 29th, 2012 09:27 PM

24p dvd

How does one make a 24P dvd in dvd architect. I've made one from the vegas timeline (a 24p option exists) but the quality is only fair. I used an old program called DVD workshop and TMPGEnc (after rendering the timeline to an uncompressed avi) and the quality is much better. This program is 7 years old. What gives?

John Estcourt September 29th, 2012 11:14 PM

Re: 24p dvd

Bill, sorry I can't help you with regards to DVD architect, however the reason the qualirty is better rendering out to an Avi frst is that Tmpgenc mastering works is a far superior mpeg encoder than sony vegas.
That would be my prefered route every time. The authoring software shouldnt make any difference to the equality as long as it isnt re encoding.
The files from tmpgenc should however inport into architect without problem if you are producing elementary streams of audio and video.
Cheers john

Peter Manojlovic September 30th, 2012 08:21 AM

Hey Bill....

Another factor, is that some encoders take your lovely 24fps video, and hard telecine it to 29.97.
Basically rehandling your video, rather that encoding it native, and simply adding the telecine flags to the video stream...
If you're happy with the quality of your 24fps video, then search for an encoder that will respect the frame rate.

Ron Evans September 30th, 2012 12:30 PM

Remember to watch 24P you will need a playback system that will do this. Most playback systems will need to apply 2:3 pulldown to sync with the refresh rate of the display. I think currently a Bluray disc played over HDMI to a display having a refresh rate a multiple of 24 is the only way of avoiding the 2:3 cadence. Some plasmas and PC monitors can have a 72Hz rate and some LCD TV's of 120 and 240Hz will have the necessary display characteristics. They emulate a film projector with mutliple blade shutters to play at 24fps with a shutter flicker rate at the display refresh rate. You will always need 2:3 cadence to watch on a 60Hz monitor or TV.

Ron Evans

Chris Barcellos September 30th, 2012 12:46 PM

One thing I have done with HD material that I was rendering to a standard DVD is render it out a finished Cineform AVI to an 1280 x 720 MPG 4 file first (Mainconcept). Then I render to Sony DVD architect file that adds pulldown. The two step render process seems to work out better. So render process is:

Project rendered to Cineform HD file, for master

Master rendered to 1280 x 720 mpg4, still in 24p. (actually 23.97)

Mpg 4 intermediate rendered to DVD Architect DVD 24p with pull down added

Marcus Martell September 30th, 2012 02:49 PM

Guys sorry 4 the question but if you e editing 24p footage, what 'a the best output to render to have a fluid preview on internet or DVD?
Thx