DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How do I correct this "low memory" error? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511105-how-do-i-correct-low-memory-error.html)

Norris Combs October 1st, 2012 09:42 PM

How do I correct this "low memory" error?

Trying to render something for Vimeo upload: 1280 x 720. Main Concept AVC (.mp4).
Immediately got the message:

An error occurred while creating the media file xxxx.mp4
The system is low on memory. You may be able to reduce memory usage by closing other applications.

Weird thing is, nothing else was running besides Vegas.

Thanks for any advice,

Chris Harding October 1st, 2012 10:02 PM

Re: How do I correct this "low memory" error?

Hi Norris

Check in preferences that your Dynamic Ram preview is set to 350mb or less and also the Main Concept codec is often buggy I have found...using the Sony AVC template is way better

Chris

Norris Combs October 2nd, 2012 12:10 AM

Thanks Chris,
I checked my Dynamic RAM, and it's been set at 128 MB for a while now. I tried Sony AVC, render couldn't start, with an error to the effect that "The reason could not be determined". I've been doing this type of renderings for at least the last year, and until a few weeks ago, things have been OK. Maybe my PC is just getting too old. I'll try all this again on my Win7 i-something CPU, the laptop is about 1.5 years old, but at least it's newer than this Q6600 PC.

Chris Harding October 2nd, 2012 05:52 AM

Hi Norris

Is it just one single clip??? You have probably got a corrupt clip there..I did a promo last year which refused to render and I found that just one tiny cutaway clip was the culprit after a fustrating day of failures!!!

Try just the main timeline with no extras and see if that renders then add events until it crashes...a process of elimination...mine was on a really old duocore which still works fine today.

To eliminate the computer/vegas try to render a totally different piece of footage around 2 minutes worth ..if that renders fine then you will have to do the elimination process...it's a pain but that was my exact experience and an error "undetermined" too!!

Chris

Norris Combs October 2nd, 2012 11:39 AM

This is an edited video, about 15 minutes long. I will try to do a render with a 2-minute clip.
Thanks,

Norris Combs October 2nd, 2012 11:46 AM

OK, I deleted the rest of the video on the timeline,save for a 15-second clip at the beginning.
Got the same low memory error message.

Julius Smith October 2nd, 2012 12:08 PM

not use if your using the 32 or 64 bit, but this might help you:
Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

or
Sony Creative Software - Forums - Vegas Pro - Video Messages

Hope that helps

Norris Combs October 2nd, 2012 01:14 PM

Hi Julius,

This post from your links is what my problem is, he even has the same PC setup as I do. I'm referring to his "old" Q6600 PC. What's interesting is that he had been using the Q6600 rig to render more complex projects with no issue. I have the exact same experience. I've done longer, more complex renders without any hiccups. Now this short, 15-minute, and even my test clip of only 15 seconds have problem with "low system memory". I'm wondering WHY this problem showed up now, with a simpler, shorter render. His new rig still encountered the same problem.

[[Over the past months I’ve been experiencing the dreaded “System is low on memory” render crash in Vegas Pro 9e and 10c. I have a number of moderately complex projects running 6 to 20 minutes each and I simply can’t render them out to MainConcept AVC/AAC mp4 which is the required format for the web.
This was on my “old” Q6600 running Win XP 32-bit with 3GB RAM. In earlier versions of Vegas I have easily rendered much more complex projects without this problem.

In desperation I have just taken delivery of a brand new (and expensive) computer in the hope of never seeing this issue again.
The new machine has these specs:
CPU: i7 2600 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 dual channel 1333
M/B: Gigabyte H67A-UD3H
No graphics card installed in order to use Intel on-board HD graphics
Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Vegas Pro 10c 32-bit and 64-bit installed.

It was delivered yesterday.

I just attempted to render the same 18 min clip using Vegas Pro 10c 32-bit and guess what? The render crashed halfway through with the “not enough memory” message. So I seem to have spent $1,700 to NOT solve the issue.

Yes, I am just a little upset!!! ]]

Norris Combs October 2nd, 2012 01:19 PM

Update:

I made this single change, and the rendering is proceeding, so far, keeping my fingers crossed.
As I mentioned earlier, I'm trying to upload this 15-minute video to Vimeo. They recommend setting the resolution to either 1920 x 1080, or 1280 x 720. I chose the lesser res, thinking it would be less taxing on the PC. That didn't go so well. Out of desperation, and not yet wanting to tinker too much with all the other fixes, I switched the resolution to 1920 x 1080, and that worked. We'll see if the render will finish.

Thanks all!!!!

Follow-up: The render was completed! Just with that change in resolution. Weird.

Chris Harding October 2nd, 2012 06:29 PM

Hi Norris

Stranger and stranger!! Apart from using Vegas 10e I have almost the exact setup ... the render of the smaller format should be easier on the processor so 1280 should give less hassle than 1920!!

Did you perhaps try a "normal" piece of footage straight from the camera and see if it works OK?? If so the error just might be one with just the single "odd" clip!!

Let us know what you find??

Chris

John Woo October 2nd, 2012 08:55 PM

Hi Norris

In the render option box, under "encode mode' select 'render using CPU only' .I have found this as the root caused of all my memory low error

Chris Harding October 2nd, 2012 09:59 PM

Hey John

I don't have that option on Vegas 10??? I think it's only on 11 onwards and Norris also has 10C

Chris

Matt Sharp October 2nd, 2012 10:16 PM

Chris my 10e has it. In this old demo video from 2010 that's on version 10.0a you can see the "Encode mode" drop down menu at the bottom of the render settings menu at 1:10. So all versions of 10 can do it.

Chris Harding October 2nd, 2012 11:26 PM

Thanks Matt

I stand corrected!! I never bothered to look in Custom settings..I just figured it was on the main Render window..then again I have never had a low memory issue at all with 10e so I never had to search for other options. Nice to know that the option is there!

Chris

Marcus Martell October 14th, 2012 10:47 PM

Thank you 4 this!