DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Vegas Crash Logs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511389-vegas-crash-logs.html)

Nicholas de Kock October 15th, 2012 03:36 AM

Vegas Crash Logs

My Vegas crashes constantly, lets log our errors here and see if there is a pattern.

Problem Description
Application Name: Vegas Pro
Application Version: Version 11.0 (Build 701) 64-bit
Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
Fault Module: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 11.0\vegas110k.dll
Fault Address: 0x00000001800175D4
Fault Offset: 0x00000000000175D4

Fault Process Details
Process Path: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 11.0\vegas110.exe
Process Version: Version 11.0 (Build 701) 64-bit
Process Description: Vegas Pro

Edward Troxel October 15th, 2012 10:32 AM

Re: Vegas Crash Logs

Then you'll need to include a LOT more information than that. For example:

CPU
Video Card
Video Card Driver
Extra installed hardware (i.e. graphics tablets, external drives, etc...)
Is it overclocked? Are all timings correct?

Unfortunately there's so many variables of system configurations and installed software that it will be difficult to find a commonality unless it is directly related to something like a video card.

Nicholas de Kock October 17th, 2012 03:28 AM

Might have found a reason: GPU Acceleration. I turned it off and now getting past 5 minutes without a crash.

Edward Troxel October 17th, 2012 08:49 AM

Nicolas, what video card and video driver are you using? It might be as simple as updating your video driver will allow Vegas to properly use the GPU.

Nicholas de Kock October 17th, 2012 10:15 AM

Sadly I think it's more serious than drivers in my case. ATI 6800 Series with the latest drivers (updated automatically). I think it was Jeff that said his nVidia was also giving problems so not sure if it ATI/nVidia specific. I'm spoiled with smooth GPU Acceleration editing in Best (Full) but since I turned it off Vegas is very stable. One crash today compared to 50, will have to get use to reduced Preview editing again.

Coral Cook October 28th, 2012 12:34 AM

TRY THIS! Been having the same problems of crashing with Vegas Pro 11 now Pro 12, and have finally found a solution from a post on another forum - Under the Options --> Preferences --> Video, set the Dynamic RAM Preview Max to 0 (Zero) and see what happens. When I did that I was able to render a short video clip that had been crashing all day. The render was quite slow, so next I tried setting it at 64MB. Render of the same video clip was twice as fast, and Vegas has been rock-solid all day (I can't even remember the last time that happened). Anyway, I'll eventually play around with the setting until I find the best setting for my system. FYI I'm running Win7 64 with 32GB RAM, AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, AMD Radeon HD 6950 w/2GB GDDR5. I never exceed more than 35% memory usage, so I initially had my Dynamic RAM set to 512MB, and was constantly crashing. Now with setting at 64MB, Vegas is stable and rendering like a charm. I'll try increasing to 128MB tomorrow and see what happens.

Jim Schuchmann October 28th, 2012 06:37 AM

Hi Coral,

I too was having trouble with this and found that a DRP setting higher than 240 would cause instability in Vegas.

Glad you got it working.

Nicholas de Kock October 30th, 2012 02:08 AM

Thanks for the advice Coral! I have 16Gb of RAM & usually go with 4Gb of DRP. Update: Vegas is rock solid after decreasing my DRP, not a single crash in two days while constantly editing.

Jim Schuchmann November 8th, 2012 09:50 AM

Nicholas,

I just turned off Indexing on the drive that my media is on. Set DRP to 2048 and have been rock solid.

Dale Guthormsen November 12th, 2012 07:34 PM

Jim,

The lower memory gig has been the case sense v9, not new and edward recommended that to me back when and it was grreat.

How does one shut down indexing on the working drive?

Thank you

Jim Schuchmann November 13th, 2012 06:59 AM

To stop indexing go to My Computer, RC on the drive and select Properties and uncheck the box at the bottom for Indexing.

It has made my system rock solid again. I even set my DRP at 4096. I have 16gb ram on my system.

Good luck, hope it helps.

Nicholas de Kock November 14th, 2012 01:15 PM

Thanks Jim will give the disabled indexing a try sometime but so far my Vegas is rock solid for the first time in over a year. Gets to me that I suffered for so long under instability.

Ian Stark April 29th, 2013 12:00 PM

I wonder if Nicholas, Jim, Dale and Coral could give us an update on the stability of their systems. I'm very interested (and I expect others are) to know whether you are still enjoying stability and, if so, what settings you finally landed on.

Many thanks.

Coral Cook April 29th, 2013 02:15 PM

Ian, Vegas has running solid for me with the settings I described above. I can't say that I haven't had a crash, because I honestly can't remember...and for Vegas, that's a big improvement!!!

Ian Stark April 29th, 2013 02:42 PM

Great news Coral! Did you increase to 128 or did you stick at 64?

The reason I asked the question originally is because I started out with v12 having few problems, but that honeymoon period has gradually worn away and now I am living in crash city! I always left DRP at default settings but now I am wondering whether I should look at that as a possible issue.

With or without plugins, while editing or rendering, I am crashing all the time and it's really beginning to get to me! I can cope with crashes during editing (I am now in the habit of saving after almost every change) but it's the render crashes that are driving me nuts.

Thanks for the update.