DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Video clips 60i upper field first - will it work when rendered for DVD or bluray? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511710-video-clips-60i-upper-field-first-will-work-when-rendered-dvd-bluray.html)

Jeff Harper October 26th, 2012 04:35 PM

Video clips 60i upper field first - will it work when rendered for DVD or bluray?

Will 60i upper field first avchd video clips work when rendered, for Bluray without the need for recompression?

Will it work for DVD with DVD Architect when rendered properly?

David Jimerson October 27th, 2012 03:10 PM

Re: Video clips 60i upper field first - will it work when rendered for DVD or bluray?

Why do you want upper-field first?

As for DVD, anything you render other than a DVD-compliant MPEG-2 will be re-rendered by DVD Architect, so the point's pretty much moot -- the rendered MPEG will be lower-field-first.

Jeff Harper October 27th, 2012 04:20 PM

Re: Video clips 60i upper field first - will it work when rendered for DVD or bluray?

60i clips from the XA10 and the GH2 are seen by Vegas as upper field first. I still do not understand why. It makes me crazy. I shot only a few weddings in 60i last year but they have been a huge pain to deal with. I didn't know the files would be upper field first, really pisses me off.

Jeff Harper October 27th, 2012 04:56 PM

I've done some reading on this issue, and from a thread on another forum, it may be the files are lower field first, but Vegas might be reading them wrong.

I'm going to try changing properties to lower field first and rendering that way and see what happens.

Tom Roper October 28th, 2012 07:04 AM

1080i video, all of it...is UPPER field first. It is not a mistake.

Tom Roper October 28th, 2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1760841)
Will 60i upper field first avchd video clips work when rendered, for Bluray without the need for recompression?

Will it work for DVD with DVD Architect when rendered properly?

Not sure why upper field first is so upsetting. And I think but don't remember for sure, there was an avc/avchd template in vegas that would render with no compression. For sure, there was a mpeg2 main concept that did. But the vegas avc encoders, both sony and main concept are so sub-par I won't use them. They render soft video, cabac only entropy. For 1080i it's simple, either use the mpeg2 main concept encoder in vegas with no recompress, or let dvda re-render it out using its own internal avc encoder, which although allows zero control over bit rate or anything else, actually does a very good job, slow as can be but better quality than the vegas avc/avchd rendering codecs. Strange but true.

In the future you should move up to x264. A small investment in time and learning curve, but much better quality and control, it's the codec Hollywood uses to compress AVC h.264 for Blu-ray releases, and it's free. You'll have to render out from vegas to one of the intermediate codecs for best result, cineform, avid DNxHD (also free now, just requires quicktime 7 installed to put it inside a mov wrapper), or lagarith lossless, or sony mxf 422. x264 accepts all those and others as source input. X264 can be used as a command line, or there are several gui's for it. It's open source. Google it.

Or bite the bullet and let dvda render out to avc, it does a nice job, it's just slow. The vegas avc/avchd codecs are a tease.

Jeff Harper October 28th, 2012 08:45 AM

Not sure why it's upsetting? To have to re-render a render that took 8 hours to begin with? It's upsetting because I have spent a weekend rendering and screwing with a video that if it had been shot in progressive I would have been done Friday.

Anyway, Tom, your post is very informative and I thank your for the information. I did not realize all 1080i is upper field first, thanks.

I only have a couple of videos to do in 1080i, I'll let DVDA re-render as it seems the best choice. Thanks again.

Tom Roper October 30th, 2012 01:20 PM

Well other than that, how was your weekend Jeff? :-)