DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   How to create a double mask (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511749-how-create-double-mask.html)

Ken Olson October 29th, 2012 02:57 PM

How to create a double mask

1 Attachment(s)
I'm using Vegas Pro v12.

Track one is the background and has a mask that allows track 3 to show through as desired.

I need my title track 2 to display text on top of the background in a different area than the first mask.

I've attached a veg file as an example.

Thank you.

Seth Bloombaum October 29th, 2012 05:39 PM

Re: How to create a double mask

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but it reminded me of efx in which you use generated text as a mask.

See this tutorial at about 26:30 -
Webinar: Expanding creative possibilities in Vegas Pro: masking and compositing techniques

???

This same technique can be used with any video on track 3... doesn't have to be the gaussian blurred copy of track 2 that is used in this tutorial.

David Jimerson October 29th, 2012 07:14 PM

If all you want is for the text to show, just put it on top of the other two.

Chris Barcellos October 29th, 2012 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what David is saying from your example. (See pic below)

Ken Olson October 29th, 2012 10:40 PM

OMG, I can't believe I missed that! I swear I tried every combination and thought that was the first I tried. LOL

Well glad this was an easy one to figure out.

Thanks everyone!

Ken

George Palmier October 30th, 2012 12:21 PM

Is it possible to create 2 seperate masks on the same event. Taking the above sample as example, what I mean is, can you make 2 seperate boxes (masks) in the red clip to show the blue clip through? Hope I explained myself enough!!

Edward Troxel October 30th, 2012 12:29 PM

Here's an article on how to pass multiple colors from an event via multiple masks. You may be able to use this technique from Vol 2 #10 of my newsletters. www.jetdv.com :: View topic - Vol #2, Issue #10 (December 2004)

David Jimerson October 30th, 2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Palmier (Post 1761371)
Is it possible to create 2 seperate masks on the same event. Taking the above sample as example, what I mean is, can you make 2 seperate boxes (masks) in the red clip to show the blue clip through? Hope I explained myself enough!!

You do it with a bezier mask in Pan/Crop. You can cut as many holes as you like.

Chris Barcellos October 30th, 2012 07:17 PM

Nice thing about 12 is it has rectangle and circular masks on board now.

Jay Massengill April 9th, 2013 07:36 PM

Today I used the new Pro 12 rectangle in the mask area of the pan/crop dialog. I also needed to rotate the rectangle, which worked just fine, but I couldn't find any numeric indicator of this rotation. Was I just missing it somehow?

Edward Troxel April 10th, 2013 08:30 AM

I just tried the same thing and I don't see the actual angle listed anywhere either.

Edward Troxel April 11th, 2013 11:31 AM

The lack of an angle display and precise adjustment has been reported to Sony. It's been confirmed and added to the wish-list as a future addition.

Jay Massengill April 11th, 2013 07:59 PM

Thanks Edward! I think that will be a worthwhile addition.