DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Best settings to create a DVD with 3 hours of shooting (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511755-best-settings-create-dvd-3-hours-shooting.html)

Marcus Martell October 30th, 2012 04:58 AM

Best settings to create a DVD with 3 hours of shooting

Hola Guys,

Wanted to have a suggestion from you about 3 hours of shots with the best quality to put in a single DVD with Dvdarch. I'm going with dvdarch pal widescreen the custom with?
Many thc

Nicholas de Kock October 30th, 2012 06:31 AM

Re: Best settings to create a DVD with 3 hours of shooting

Marcus use a bitrate calculator to calculate what bitrate you should render to:

Bitrate Calculator

Mike Kujbida October 30th, 2012 07:54 AM

Marcus, try the following Min/Avg/Max numbers.
Definitely do this one as a two-pass render.
If I was you, I'd try a short render (5 minutes or so) and see what you think of the final quality.

2,296,000 / 3,064,000 / 6,128,000

Marcus Martell November 3rd, 2012 07:39 PM

Hi Mike,

i'm trying right mow a render with your settings but i have a question about the audio:
what settings should i set to avoid the decrease of volume in dvdarch?
Thx a lot buddy

Mike Kujbida November 3rd, 2012 08:12 PM

Here you go Marcus.

Encode set to AC3;
Click on Custom tab;
On the first tab, set Dialog Norm at -31 (this sets it at unity gain);
On the last tab marked Preprocessing, set the Line Mode Profile and RF Mode Profile mode to "none";
DC High Pass Filter On (this operates at <=3Hz and takes DC bias out of the mix);
Bandwidth Low Pass Filter On (this takes aliasing noise at >20kHz out of the encode).
Save this as a preset.

Jeff Harper November 5th, 2012 05:53 AM

I use dual layer discs and avoid heavy recompression altogether.

Marcus Martell November 5th, 2012 12:35 PM

Jeff you r right! I was ignoring this option!Thx

What are the best settings for an hour and an half?

Thx a lot Mike for the audio settings that i have just saved! I really appreciated it

Jeff Harper November 5th, 2012 12:46 PM

For 1.5 hours the standard rates in the template are fine, no need to adjust, as long as your audio is ac3 and not .wav.

Marcus Martell November 5th, 2012 12:53 PM

Thank you Jeff!
Considering your suggestion of dual layer what settings would you use for 3 hours and an half to be burned on a Dual layer?
i wanna try even this way
thx

Mike Kujbida November 5th, 2012 05:42 PM

Marcus, try the following numbers.
Due to the low average bitrate, I'd still do this as a two-pass render.

8,552,000 / 4,880,000 / 2,928,000

Leslie Wand November 5th, 2012 10:50 PM

@ jeff - are the dual layer disks for your own use (ie on the same player/recorder) or for general release?

i'm only asking because a few years ago i tried dual layer (vebatim) on three different burners and had problems with all in standalone dvd players (oh, and sometimes in different players than they were originally recorded in!).

i'm hoping times have changed ;-)

then again, i haven't actually burned a commercial dvd for almost two years ;-))

Gene Gajewski November 7th, 2012 09:36 PM

Issues with dual-layer DVD's are mostly in the past. It's unlikely that you'd run into any issue with a burner made in the last two years and a player made in the last 5, from my experience.

Marcus Martell November 15th, 2012 04:56 PM

Ok Guys here's my experience!
I dragged the m2t file (3 hour length)on the timeline. I rendered the video in dvdarch widescreen and it took 10 hours and 3 minutes to render 3 hours of video. Is it normal considering the fact i used the settings
You suggested me above. Now i opened DVD arch and i see that the total disc Space used of the DVD is 103%. I opened optimize and i guess the audio should be' compressed a little bit cause is highlighted in red. What Would you do? Many Thx guys

Marcus Martell November 16th, 2012 04:12 AM

I m even considering the fact to rerender the original m2t into mpg2 dvd widescreen so i could make it fit in a dual layer DVD. I tryed the bitrate calculator but appear different settings from yours. So many Thanks for helping me out to render on dual layer DVD

Don Bloom November 16th, 2012 06:13 AM

Why render in DVDA? Vegas does so much of a better job. Use the settings that were given to you, use AC3 audio, start the render, (2 times-1 for video and 1 for audio)-if it takes 10 hours so what. Do it overnight, right!?
I've never had good luck using DVDA to render anything of length. BTW, I've burned 3 hours on a single layer DVD. Great quality? No, good enough for the client to make edit decisions? Yes. Depends on your needs. Either use dual layer or use multiple DVDs.