DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   V12.0 Good, but still not stable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/511822-v12-0-good-but-still-not-stable.html)

Tom Roper November 1st, 2012 06:46 PM

V12.0 Good, but still not stable

I have several odd glitches, but there is one that is 100% reproduceable (for me) and also have a workaround fix.

I create a new project by dropping Sony mxf files on the timeline, edit and save as usual. Exit the program. The next time I open V12.0, in the process of opening the project, it gets to about 30%, then the preview screen turns orange and the program freezes and has to be restarted. It restarts with a fresh screen and no project. When I go to open the project, it happens again, everytime in fact, the preview screen turns orange, and then the program crashes.

But if I set the preview screen to "Full" before opening the project, then it opens normally. Once open, I can reset the preview screen to "Auto" and resume normal editing as before.

I do have the latest nVidia display driver installed.

Very weird.

Edward Troxel November 2nd, 2012 12:42 PM

Re: V12.0 Good, but still not stable

Have you reported this to Sony?

Can you confirm the same happens on multiple machines? Or is it only that specific computer?

Robin Davies-Rollinson November 2nd, 2012 03:23 PM

One annoying little glitch that happens in Vegas 12 with me is that two adjacent clips in the media manager pane will have the same thumbnail,ie Clips A and B will share the same thumbnail. I t doesn't happen with all though...

Tom Roper November 2nd, 2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Troxel (Post 1761884)
Have you reported this to Sony?

Can you confirm the same happens on multiple machines? Or is it only that specific computer?

I have not reported it, have not tried other machines, and as far as I know it is just my specific machine, a Dell XPS L702X running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, Processor i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.2 GHZ, 8 GB ram, NVIDIA GeFORCE, GT555M, 3 GB dedicated DDR3 video memory, Driver version 306.97, 144 CUDA Cores, DirectX 11.1, and a solid state hard drive.

Version 11.701 worked fine in this regard, and V12.367 has been mostly good with the exception of this problem and another instance of an unexplained crash. There is now an update posted for build 394. I'll start with that.

Edit: I checked the Sony System Requirements for the update, I am current and meet all the system requirements.

Tom Roper November 2nd, 2012 07:15 PM

The Build 394 update fixed the problem I opened this thread for, put that one to rest.

A worse problem that remains, is the inability to render output from a V11 project to Avid DNxHD. The program crashes. It will render to DNxHD if the veg project was created in V12, but not if created in V11.

In this case, since Vegas displayed the "Vegas Stopped Working" splashscreen, and option to send a report to Vegas, I chose to send the report. It's not good that a newer build fails to render a project from an older build.

For this problem, the workaround is that I kept the old V11.371 installed because it doesn't have this problem. It successfully renders the output without problem, 100% of the time. That particular build in my experience, was the most stable and functional of any succeeding version of Vegas Pro 64 bit. In addition to being stable, it was before Sony removed 1080/p60 output rendering from the Main Concept mpeg2 rendering codec, and before Sony crippled its own 1080/p60 AVC rendering codec by disabling the CAVLC (context adaptive variable length coding) entropy option. A frustration that causes cynicism with me, is when they add some great features, but don't tell you about the ones they are removing. Same old Vegas. My $0.02

Robin Davies-Rollinson November 3rd, 2012 04:11 PM

Just loaded the latest build - and all the thumbnails are now as should be, so that's something at least!

Gerald Webb November 5th, 2012 01:39 PM

I've got a strange one,
Every time I render a wav or an mxf the file extension comes out as a .wdp.
I can change it and the file is fine, but annoying and strange nonetheless.
And 12 has been a crash-a-thon with Cineform files for me. Have had to revert back to the original .mts files just to get a stable timeline.
Bring on the updates :)