What do you think of the upcoming Sony Vegas Suite? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 16th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Major Player

What do you think of the upcoming Sony Vegas Suite?

Hi all:

I had received the link the other day and wanted to get your take of the bundling/software.

I can see they're trying to get in the game with Adobe, with what they've done with their recent offering.
There's a couple of software bundled with the Vega Pro that has me interested, the Pro Assistant, & Visual effects. & a few colleagues have prefer/enjoy their music tools.

Here's the link. https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/suite

Thanks!

Robert
Robert Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What do you think of the upcoming Sony Vegas Suite?

Very interesting, that's what I think!

The HitFilm products from FXHome are based on the old DV efx package AlamDV. Star-wars recreators knew AlamDV as the affordable light-saber, that also did explosions and muzzle flashes.

Honestly, I haven't kept up very well over the years as they've improved and broadened their products, but they were all about quick efx that look good and are often needed in a range of genres. You got violent conflict on-screen? These are economical ways to get good effects that support it.

Lots of would-be feature filmmakers will find goodness in these bundles, IMO.

HitFilm ? cutting edge video editing and visual effects software - HitFilm.com
Old November 16th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Got the e-mail today. So Sony are going to take Adobe on in the compositing market. Interestingly, a cut-down version of the application is also offered with Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. I wonder if the Express version will work with Vegas pro for those who don't need all of the capability of the Ultimate version?

Also of interest was the inclusion of DVDA Pro 6.0. Will this be a free upgrade or are Pro 12 owners expected to purchase it when they have only just bought version 5.2?
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Major Player

Hitfilm is interesting, looks like Sony's version of aftereffects so I'm sure I would use it. Adobe bundles include Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver though so this won't replace those.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Adam View Post
Hitfilm is interesting, looks like Sony's version of aftereffects so I'm sure I would use it. Adobe bundles include Photoshop, Illustrator and Dreamweaver though so this won't replace those.
If by "replace those" you mean buyers who want to create web based video applications or 'creative cloud' as Adobe like to call it, then that's probably right. The Sony offering will appeal to those who want a video/movie based suite without the web page distractions. At a price of up to $900 per year the Adobe package may have some appeal in the US, but elsewhere, even for a download from a US server and non-local support, the pricing is not far short of predatory, e.g. the same item costs 48% more in the UK.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeah, Aftereffects is a totally different ballgame compared to the Hitflm.

Since I don't have the budget to afford the Adobe package, or AVID and need an upgrade with what I have, this may tie me over for a pinch, until I have the funds.

I did speak to a Sony Rep if they offer a speical upgrade price for those with Pro 12 and or Vega Movie studio, to bump up to the Suite, and they said they let me know next week on what the scoop is. Soon as I know, I'll share what they say, incase others are in the same predicament as me.
Old November 16th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Inner Circle

I am more interested to find out how DVDArchitect has changed. Since I already have Vegas 12 and Sound Forge 10 this will be the only thing of interest to me. I have ADOBE Production Suite so don't need any more tools that I am not good at using !!!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Game View Post
If by "replace those" you mean buyers who want to create web based video applications or 'creative cloud' as Adobe like to call it, then that's probably right. The Sony offering will appeal to those who want a video/movie based suite without the web page distractions. At a price of up to $900 per year the Adobe package may have some appeal in the US, but elsewhere, even for a download from a US server and non-local support, the pricing is not far short of predatory, e.g. the same item costs 48% more in the UK.
Yes Adobe pricing is too expensive but I couldn't live without it for graphics/photo and webdesign. Since I already have V12 and don't need a better Architect, the only part of that suite that looks interesting is Hitfilm. Going to give the demo a whirl.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Major Player

There is some problem with Hitfilm:
Quote:
All HitFilm projects work in a non-interlaced (progressive) format. Interlaced video will be automatically deinterlaced when used in HitFilm.
(from Help)
Juris Lielpeteris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 05:07 AM   #10
Regular Crew

HitFilm Ultimate 2 offers some very interesting features. 3D model import, 3D compositing, 3D particles and a powerful particle engine, an easy-to-use one point and two point tracker and Mocha as a planar tracker. Ago I perfered the BCC keyers but the more I use the HitFilm chroma keyer (though it is not a color difference keyer the adjustments it offers are similar to Keylight) the more I like it.
Marco Ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:45 AM   #11
Major Player

FYI

Sony Creative Software - Online Store - Upgrade to Vegas Pro 12 Suite from Vegas Pro 12
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:18 AM   #12
Major Player

The price leaves me out. The only program I would want is hit film and it costs less on its own. Not sure why you would need Soundforge as you can already do mixing and mastering with Vegas.
Duane Adam is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...