Project settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old November 18th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Trustee

Project settings

I know that there are more than one way of skinning a cat - and Vegas certainly is rich in options regarding workflow.
However, what I'd really like to get to the bottom of are the project settings.
Should I set the video template for my source material or for the delivery format/ - or does it not make any difference?
I'm starting to edit some nature docs shot on Canon XF300 at 1920 full rez, 50mbs, but I will be delivering a 720p copy for web viewing (I also need to supply a SD DVD version as well ...)
So, which project settings, and does it really matter? Editing on i7 PC with lots of oomph.
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Project settings

My experience has been that Vegas previews best when project properties match source footage, and that's what I do most often. I think this is what's recommended by Sony.

There are some situations in which it's important to know how things will look at their final delivery resolution, this might influence font sizes and even shot selections. But mostly I don't think you'd see that with 1080i/p that delivers as 720p. I get more concerned when delivering for something like 640x360.

Do keep an eye on any small font sizes, though; if you're concerned about easy readability at 1920x1080, it will be a bit worse at 1280x720.

But then "delivering a 720p version for web viewing", will it be seen only at 720p, or further reduced in resolution? You might do a test render of any key sequences, especially graphics, at the least resolution you expect viewers to see.
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Old Boot

Adding to Seth, do your editing in a Matched Project environment. Reason? If you don't, then Vegas will be forever adapting the view of your Media to Match your Project Settings.

OK . . . . .

Some projects have a mess of Media (yours doesn't!) and needing some policemen to come in and "kettle" them into some semblance of unity for Editing, and here editing means d that which will get you the best option to previewing.

Therefore you shouldn't ever edit in delivery format. However, if you DON'T have an option then Vegas will allow you to do that too.

OK . . . .

. .here are some scenarios, and until I am correct:-

1/ - All One Type of Media: Match Project to the Media being used.

2/- Mixed Media If there are SOME non-Project un-matched media that are needed OR form a small part of the project, then either transcode to the Project, or set up another project just for that.

3/- Edit in Down Res. This would be IF the PC could not handle any FULL res Media, and you would then swap Media back in.

4/- Complete Project. Now having a finished project you can render directly to the Delivery Format you want.

I've used combinations of 2 > 4. What you don't want is to loose any "creative" previewing of fab footage to allow you to make cutting decisions 'cos the project had already dumbed-down your media.

I've keep the Match for rending option unchecked.

That's my view on this, and I'm always asking myself the same questions and making tweaks and further decisions to allow my workflow to cope with the vagaries of my own creative whims!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Does 'All One Type of Media' include field order. I have recently had problems creating a sequence for a DVD comprising the .vobs from four single movie DVDs. One of the .vobs had lower field first order, the other three had upper field first. It was impossible to get Vegas to intelligently render all four ready for a combined DVD.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Old Boot

Did you try the Match Media On Render?

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #6
Trustee

Thank you gentlemen for the advice. I shall now implement it!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...