DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Most Stable 64bit version of Vegas Pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/512490-most-stable-64bit-version-vegas-pro.html)

Kevin Janisch December 3rd, 2012 02:17 PM

Most Stable 64bit version of Vegas Pro?

Been on 8.0c for a while and it is rock solid stable. Windows XP though. Can anybody comment on which 64bit version is the most stable? Any comparisons to 8.0c's stability would be helpful as well. Thank you much.

Juris Lielpeteris December 3rd, 2012 11:48 PM

Re: Most Stable 64bit version of Vegas Pro?

Both 10.0e 64 bit and 11.0.701 are more stable than 8.0c (IMHO).

Marco Ba December 4th, 2012 04:21 AM

For me it's definitely the latest build of VP12 (though I never use GPU support).

Duane Adam December 4th, 2012 11:28 AM

I'm finding v12 to be the most stable so far but would hardly call it rock solid as it does crash occasionally . V8 is too many projects ago so can't help you there.

Kevin Janisch December 4th, 2012 01:19 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. Can anybody comment on how often their 64 bit Vegas crashes? In the 2-3 years I've been using Vegas 8.0c, it's crashed on me maybe 10-15 times and this is with some pretty taxing projects. Some long form with over 4 hours of footage, others with complex compositing and FX. This excludes render crashes which were most always due to large .jpgs. I use HDV and AVCHD 60P files with Gearshift DV proxy files for editing, and swap in HD files for color correcting and rendering.

And Duane, looks like we're neighbors as I'm here in Marina, just outside of Monterey.

Thanks again.

Duane Adam December 4th, 2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Janisch (Post 1766332)
And Duane, looks like we're neighbors as I'm here in Marina, just outside of Monterey.

Yes I noticed that Kevin. My office is in Carmel so I'm in Monterey regularly. (Website with Vegas videos: Duane Adam at Sotheby's).

V12 crashes whenever I try to delete a clip while previewing so I've stopped doing that. Also, when I use New Blue gradient tint I get severe flickering in rendered files. This happens about 75% of the time and the flickering occurs in random sections.

Kevin Janisch December 4th, 2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duane Adam (Post 1766338)
Yes I noticed that Kevin. My office is in Carmel so I'm in Monterey regularly. (Website with Vegas videos: Duane Adam at Sotheby's).

V12 crashes whenever I try to delete a clip while previewing so I've stopped doing that. Also, when I use New Blue gradient tint I get severe flickering in rendered files. This happens about 75% of the time and the flickering occurs in random sections.

Thanks for the reply Duane. I may upgrade sooner than later as creating proxy files is starting to take up too much of my time and disk space ;) Thanks for sharing your work. Very impressive. Out of curiosity, what do you find yourself using mostly for editing?

Thanks again for sharing your experience with Vegas 12.

Duane Adam December 4th, 2012 04:07 PM

I'm using vegas, illustrator, photoshop and aftereffects. I have premium pro but don't use it as I prefer the way vegas handles audio.

Gerald Webb December 4th, 2012 10:22 PM

Have to give another vote for the latest version. Since last weekend Ive organized, synced and done basic edits on about 18 hrs of dance concert footage. Comps are about 3hrs long with up to 7 tracks of avchd, mxf and hdv. Done complex multicam edits of about 20 dances so far with....
No crashes.
My nervous control-s twitch is slowly going away.
GPU is always off though.
Happy days indeed.

Kevin Janisch December 5th, 2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1766398)
Have to give another vote for the latest version. Since last weekend Ive organized, synced and done basic edits on about 18 hrs of dance concert footage. Comps are about 3hrs long with up to 7 tracks of avchd, mxf and hdv. Done complex multicam edits of about 20 dances so far with....
No crashes.
My nervous control-s twitch is slowly going away.
GPU is always off though.
Happy days indeed.

Thanks Gerald! What other versions of Vegas have you used before V12? What happens with GPU on? Thank you.

Marco Ba December 5th, 2012 12:36 PM

Most stability issues I heard of are related to GPU support turned on in Vegas Pro 12 and could be solved by turning GPU support off.

That does not mean there must be problems. But if you might be willing to abstain from GPU support there is a very good chance VP12 will be rock solid for you.

Kevin Janisch December 5th, 2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco Ba (Post 1766476)
Most stability issues I heard of are related to GPU support turned on in Vegas Pro 12 and could be solved by turning GPU support off.

That does not mean there must be problems. But if you might be willing to abstain from GPU support there is a very good chance VP12 will be rock solid for you.

Thanks Marco. I assume that if you have a "Sony Approved" video card than you could use GPU Support.

Danny Fye December 12th, 2012 01:08 AM

What is totally stable on one system may not be stable at all on another system.

There is a great sale on vegas 12 as I type this so download the Vegas 12 trial and give it a test and then if all is/seems well then get the bargain!

www.dannyfye.com - Videos - CCM.