Nesting in v12 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

What Happens in Vegas...
...stays in Vegas! This PC-based editing app is a safe bet with these tips.

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Nesting in v12

Confirming that removing v11 (obviously) solves the problem. I did notice that the first time I fired up Vegas 12 after removing 11, I was asked if I wanted to associate .veg files with v12. Odd because I had already done that in Windows,
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #17
Trustee

I agree V12 seems overall stable except there's always that one thing. I have Quicktime7 and DNxHD plugins installed. V11 and V12 both will render perfectly a DNxHD intermediate wrapped in a *.mov container from a project created in its respective version, 11 or 12. And V12 can even open the V11 project, but where it goes wrong is V12 crashes on the V11 render. V12 does fine rendering the DNxHD project if it was created in V12.

I haven't tried nesting the V11 project on the V12 timeline to see if it would succeed making a DNxHD render, but you can see why I don't want to delete V11.

I tried previously opening the V11 project in V12 and resaving it as a V12 project, but only if I created the project from scratch in V12 am I able to render DNxHD.

Rendering your old projects to Lagarith solved a problem for the poster but it is not an acceptable situation for Sony to be migrating us along the upgrade path without consideration for backward compatibility of projects, at least within the 64 bit framework.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #18
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Rendering your old projects to Lagarith solved a problem for the poster . . .
Yes, I use this way out - as do others - for any "sticky" issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
. . . but it is not an acceptable situation for Sony to be migrating us along the upgrade path without consideration for backward compatibility of projects, at least within the 64 bit framework.
Hmm.... SCS have had a mammoth task when they have driven through the following:
  • The OFX initiative - A mass of 1/3Party Partners
  • GPU porting - Who has what GraphCard? Drivers? ugh . . .
  • The total migration from 32bit to 64bit - A content user base that are happy with running VP9 on XP

Then there are the various cross platform project interchange needing to be available to Users to rate Vegas as a 21st Century NLE:

Project Interchange
  • Fixed markers exporting to ProTools/Media Composer format.
  • Fixed 5.1 surround audio projects exporting to AAF.
  • Improved issue logging for After Effects exports.
  • Add stereo support for .M2T files in the Premiere Pro and After Effects export.
  • Add Track Group support to the Premiere Pro and After Effects export.

I'm the first one to demand a more stress-free migration from VP10>VP12, and I HAVE made my thoughts/feelings known to them UPSTAIRS.

As long as SCS are striving and driving this monumental task forward, then KUDOS to them.

From what I can garner, there is much, MUCH more to come. As they drive and strive through changes, all I can do is get commissioned work out of the door; find ways of paying bills from film and edit and hopefully share my way through it here.

Grazie

Last edited by Graham Bernard; December 16th, 2012 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Correcting Markup . . . .
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #19
Trustee

Graham,

There are people deleting VP11 from their systems because VP12 has a bug causing it to launch the VP11 program when they try and nest a *.veg project on the VP12 timeline. And what I've said is I don't want to delete VP11 because I still need it if VP12 remains unable to render my project that begun in VP11.

You seem to be excusing SCS for being backwards incompatible for one generation of 64 bit versions, but if the Lagarith did not render for you, you'd be in exactly the same boat as I am with DNxHD. Actually you ARE since you can't nest in VP12 either, you are going through the wasted step of Lagarith rendering, at least you don't need the old version of VP to do it.

So monumental the task for SCS is maybe, but kudos no. We're all working hard and I'd frankly be embarrassed if I was putting out a product touting it for its project interchange that could not even work within its own family of software. And I don't think I'm being at all unfair. If Sony wants to us to beta test for them that's okay but they should not charge for buggy, unfinished product upgrades, and certainly not expect me to shed crocodile tears for their woes that went into prematurely marketing the unfinished product.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Old Boot

Fair enough.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > What Happens in Vegas...