DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Mixed footage - 24p and 60i - how to handle in Vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/512627-mixed-footage-24p-60i-how-handle-vegas.html)

Jeff Harper December 9th, 2012 11:17 AM

Mixed footage - 24p and 60i - how to handle in Vegas

I have a wedding to edit that consists of 2 cameras shot at 1080 24p, and two cameras shot in 1080 60i.

Obviously mistakes were made prior to the shoot and this situation should never have come to pass, but this is what I must deal with, so there it is, it's unfortunate and frustrating.

How do I handle this project in Vegas? Can I avoid the need to convert the files beforehand? Can I simply set the project properties to either 24p or 1080i, and then render out to match that setting?

I would especially like to avoid pre-processing these files, I have a tremendous backlog and would like to avoid the extra hard drive space required, as well as the time needed to convert these files.

Chris Barcellos December 9th, 2012 01:47 PM

Re: Mixed footage - 24p and 60i - how to handle in Vegas

Decide what you are going to output in, and set the project to that setting.

Your playback of files in Preview monitor will likely be slow on non conforming files,, depending on your system capabilities, but the two files should edit together fine.

Jeff Harper December 9th, 2012 06:59 PM

Chris, got it.

Will one way be better than the other?

Steven Reid December 10th, 2012 07:30 AM

Jeff, I just finished a project with exactly your quandary. Unlike you, I didn't have a backlog, so I decided to "pre-process" the 60i footage. In particular, I used BCC7 frame rate conversion within Vegas to render the 60i clips to 24p. This was a snap using Excalibur to wrangle and batch process all clips.

Then I edited everything in 24p. Smooth as butter. I tried a number of 60i --> 24p conversions, including Vegas native, Cineform, and BCC7. The last looked the best by a good margin.

Probably the major decision point, aside from quality, is where you want to burn time: first conforming your clips like I did, or dealing with slower previews while editing with no pre-conforming.

Jeff Harper December 10th, 2012 12:05 PM

Steven, thanks for sharing your experience. I'll try editing in 24p and rendering to 24p and see how it looks. Playback is relatively good as is, so that's not much of an issue. I'm more concerned how well Vegas will convert 60i footage to 24p, never done it before. Hopefully it will be fine. If not, I will try the reverse.

Tell me more about BCC7 frame rate conversion, Steven, what is it?

Steven Reid December 10th, 2012 12:14 PM

Jeff, one of the many Boris Continuum Complete 7 (BCC7) FX is a Deinterlace filter. (BCC8 has been out for awhile, but I didn't upgrade.) Within that FX a preset allows deinterlacing and conversion of interlaced footage to 24p. The FX also lets you tweak a lot of other parameters, but I think I left those alone. Eyeballing the results indicated that the BCC7 route was better than letting Vegas handle the deinterlacing and frame rate conversion.

If you don't have BCC7, it would be overkill and non-economical to buy just for deinterlacing and conforming. However, since I had it, I gave it a shot and it looked great. BCC7 has a ton of other very excellent FX, so it wouldn't be money wasted.

I'm curious to know what solution you settle upon. Look at edges of high motion objects. On my footage, Vegas gave blurriness and/or some residual comb filtering. BCC7 gave only sharp edges. Slow moving or static objects won't be a problem for either method, I suspect.

Jeff Harper December 11th, 2012 09:38 AM

Steven, I'll try and remember to keep you posted, I'm not optimistic, but will push forward and keep my fingers crossed.

Marcus Martell December 17th, 2012 04:32 PM

Had the same issue editing 1080 50i from the old FX1 and 1080 24p from D5100. The output was 1080 50i cause the 90%of the footage was shot with the FX1. Even if i have desabled resample on the 24p shots the fast moving objects don't look natural :(
Did u achieve the same result with interlaced and progressive on the final output?

Jeff Harper December 17th, 2012 08:49 PM

Editing of the above project has been handed off to another editor, they are using Final Cut. We'll see how it goes.