DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Multitrack audio import script? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/512749-multitrack-audio-import-script.html)

Seth Bloombaum December 15th, 2012 11:49 AM

Multitrack audio import script?

Anybody know of a vegas script to distribute individual audio files across tracks on import or from the media bin?

I've just received a kajillion audio files with the naming below. No, they're not BWF!

Track 1.wav
Track 2.wav
Track 16.wav
Track 1 (2).wav
Track 2 (2).wav
Track 16 (2).wav
Track 1 (3).wav
... and so on

Garrett Low December 15th, 2012 02:42 PM

Re: Multitrack audio import script?

Well, it's not a script but couldn't you sort by file name which would put all of the "Track 1 (xx).wav" files together. Then just select all the track 1's and pull them onto one audio track. Then do the same for Track 2's etc. That might be the fastest way to it since you'd have to go back after as script is finished and check each audio track to make sure the right files got put on the right tracks.

This is a very good example of how a well thought out file control procedure ahead of time really helps the editor. I feel for you as I've been in similar situations.

Seth Bloombaum December 15th, 2012 03:19 PM

Thanks Garret - I think you're right, that would be the most click-efficient method using what Vegas does natively.

I'm going to make a more serious search for a script, though. Lots of places to look. Maybe someone knows of one?

Desired workflow: Select 16 files in the bin. Run a script. In ascending order by file name, those 16 files are now inserted on the timeline at the cursor position, on tracks 1 through 16.

Roberto Diaz December 15th, 2012 06:34 PM

another way is to rename the files so you can select a group and drop them into audio track 1, then select a second group and drop them into audio track 2, etc thru track 16.

not to hard to write such a script if you're runing windows (being that i'm a techie that cut his teeth on DOS). PM me if you want me to crank out a batch file that does this in windows.

Seth Bloombaum December 15th, 2012 07:12 PM

If I understand correctly, the files are already named in sequence, I'm able to do this easily one track at a time. Essentially, I think this is the same method Garrett suggested?

So, with the existing automatically generated filenames from the recorder, I think I'm ready to go for a track at a time. Thanks for the windows batch offer; I'm thinking it isn't needed in this particular case.

Ah, if I could do this across 16 or 24 tracks with a Vegas script...

Aleksey Tarasov December 16th, 2012 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Bloombaum (Post 1768104)
Desired workflow: Select 16 files in the bin. Run a script. In ascending order by file name, those 16 files are now inserted on the timeline at the cursor position, on tracks 1 through 16.

You don't need a script if you want to place the selected clips across multiple tracks. Just select the files, and then drag them to the desired position on the timeline with RIGHT mouse button and choose Add Across Tracks command from the context menu

Seth Bloombaum December 17th, 2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleksey Tarasov (Post 1768161)
You don't need a script if you want to place the selected clips across multiple tracks. Just select the files, and then drag them to the desired position on the timeline with RIGHT mouse button and choose Add Across Tracks command from the context menu

Oh, this is very good! Can't wait to try it. So much under the surface of Vegas, even for an old-timer like me.

Thanks Aleksey!