DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   What Happens in Vegas... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/)
-   -   Stumped as to why I cannot drop avi file onto video track? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-happens-vegas/513020-stumped-why-i-cannot-drop-avi-file-onto-video-track.html)

Robert Lee December 29th, 2012 05:28 PM

Stumped as to why I cannot drop avi file onto video track?

Hi everyone:

I have a file question. I'm a little surprised in I thought Vegas Pro 12 can open all video file formats? Kinda bummed in I thought one of the selling points was it could open all formats.

Was working on some edits, and as I was trying to pull a video clip in avi form,I received the following message "None of the file dropped on Vegas Pro could be opened".

Hopefully the jpeg image is down below that you can see.

Worse case scenario know I can reformat it, but if it's something I'm doing wrong, please let me know what I just have to do to be able to drop this file on the video tracks.

Robert

Paul Fierlinger December 29th, 2012 08:25 PM

Re: Stumped as to why I cannot drop avi file onto video track?

I work extensively and only with AVI files and I assure you Vegas works exceedingly well with these and can be dragged onto my timeline directly from the Windows browser if I so choose. Mine are graphics software generated, uncompressed MJPEGs contained within MSV or SM Player files, or several other player files I happen to like at the moment. For anyone of the more knowledgeable people here you should specify which codec you used to create your AVIs and what is their source.

Graham Bernard December 29th, 2012 09:53 PM

Robert, download the free media interrogator G-Spot and the other one MediaInfo, let them analyse what you've got inside that AVI and bring it back here. Also take note of the report they give as to if you have or are missing the CODECs required to read the Media.

Surprised? Don't be. Vegas is truly awesome at allowing us to get at an amazing amount of stuff. Be surprised at just what it can do! I too have had media Vegas baulk at, but once I've used G-Spot or MediInfo it became obvious what I needed to do.

An AVI is only a container. It's what inside that's important to Vegas.

Get your research back here.

Grazie

Robert Lee January 2nd, 2013 03:08 PM

Happy Holidays Graham.

Thanks for the tip, is there a link you can send me. I'm having trouble finding it when I did a google search for the two that you listed.

Robert

Gerald Webb January 2nd, 2013 05:21 PM

Here go
MediaInfo

Graham Bernard January 3rd, 2013 03:28 AM

Thnx Gerald - you're a Gent! - I hadn't subscribed . . .

G